Brushing Layout Blinds In Open Fields

Got permission to shoot some sky pandas at a private farm. Geese have been coming into the green fields. There is a bunch of small green bamboo near my house with a bunch of leaves of them. They would be good size to weave through the stubble straps. Has anybody done this? I have already cut burlap strips and tied them on the blind in a semi-ghille suit fashion to reduce the foot print. Open to any other suggestions. Thanks

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Got permission to shoot some sky pandas at a private farm. Geese have been coming into the green fields. There is a bunch of small green bamboo near my house with a bunch of leaves of them. They would be good size to weave through the stubble straps. Has anybody done this? I have already cut burlap strips and tied them on the blind in a semi-ghille suit fashion to reduce the foot print. Open to any other suggestions. Thanks

If the foliage color matches the environment it will work just fine. Geese aren’t that hard to fool as long as it looks natural.

If the foliage color matches the environment it will work just fine. Geese aren’t that hard to fool as long as it looks natural.
Perfect. Thanks. I was thinking that I just wanted another opinion. The bamboo has long leaves kinda looking like tall grass and it also green so win win.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Farmer might not be wanting ANY bamboo remotely close to his property. If that stuff ever propagates, it’s extremely invasive and hard as the dickens to kill. Just a FYI.

As for your layouts, forget them and go cut you enough small pine saplings to make you a blind. I know you think it’s crazy but I’d bet you those geese won’t hesitate one bit decoying. It’s a lot more comfortable than layouts and you will be standing and shooting from any position, thus having more opportunities. It’s done all the time in Canada except they use Willows and I’ve successfully done it here too. Don’t know why new green objects don’t bother ducks or geese (scissor rigs) but it doesn’t. Best of luck to ya.

Farmer might not be wanting ANY bamboo remotely close to his property. If that stuff ever propagates, it’s extremely invasive and hard as the dickens to kill. Just a FYI.

As for your layouts, forget them and go cut you enough small pine saplings to make you a blind. I know you think it’s crazy but I’d bet you those geese won’t hesitate one bit decoying. It’s a lot more comfortable than layouts and you will be standing and shooting from any position, thus having more opportunities. It’s done all the time in Canada except they use Willows and I’ve successfully done it here too. Don’t know why new green objects don’t bother ducks or geese (scissor rigs) but it doesn’t. Best of luck to ya.
Preciate it!

I was a little skeptical about using pine trees for a grass field but I went with it and it worked out wonderful. It looked awesome and hid me well. Birds came in a rope! I'll post the birds in the waterfowl kill tread. Thanks for the advice I really appreciate. View attachment 50762layout.jpg

gone_huntin

Four Pointer
We hunt layouts sometimes in a very green area with nearly no tall cover around a pond. We ended up using green raffia grass (winter wheat color) - not perfect but matches close enough in my opinion, and can leave it tied onto your blind for the season and still fold up the layout blind. Killed plenty of ducks and geese with this method.