Browning .22

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
A friend has a Browning .22 semi automatic rifle that he wants to sell.
I haven't seen it yet but he says it shoots .22 shorts only.
I thought most .22's would shoot shorts and long/long rifle.
Anybody familiar with this type of rifle?
Do they still make .22 short ammo?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I know they did make some for gallery guns that were short only but most were just marked different.

Need to find out the grade, where made and age of it.

SA-22 is a great gun just watch where you hold your arm shooting it.
Cases will shoot down your shirt sleeve and burn the crap out of you.
Some woman have problems shooting them also.. had one screaming get it out, get it out.....

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Brownings ATDs were either LR or Short only.
The ATD was the china copy. SA22 was the browning model.
But as you state I do believe I stand corrected I'm thinking of the BL-22 that has the S-L-LR marking. Next time I dig the SA22's out I will look to see.

Grandad had several, do wish I got some of his. Think that wss the first SA 22 I ever shot.
Anyways they are fun guns.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well I just call them ATDs. I have two Belgian one of each, short only and long rifle only. That is how they are marked. You are correct, they are actually SA-22s.

double

Twelve Pointer
My FIL has a set of browning 22’s one is lr and one is short only. I will see if I can find the model number next time I am over there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windini

Spike
I inherited the first gun I ever shot: Browning SA-22 in 22LR. Excellent shooter! The 22 short version must hold ...20rnds?

22 short is out there, try ammoseek.com.

Also, I think David's / Outdoor Limited in High Point has it on sale from time to time.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I inherited the first gun I ever shot: Browning SA-22 in 22LR. Excellent shooter! The 22 short version must hold ...20rnds?

22 short is out there, try ammoseek.com.

Also, I think David's / Outdoor Limited in High Point has it on sale from time to time.
I haven't shot mine in years but I think it is 15-16.