Brown Turkey Fig

2nd Calling

Six Pointer
I recall someone on here mentioning that they had deer eating from a fig tree. I have two cuttings that are about ready for planting, any recommendations on where to locate them (food plots, travel corridors, bedding area, other)?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Maybe they don't like my figs but I have a Turkey in the yard and the deer walk right by it all the time. I have yet to see any using it and have had a camera on it at times just to confirm.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Figs are one of the few fruits I get to eat, unless the blue jays move in.
I've not noticed deer mess with the leaves or fruits.

2nd Calling

Six Pointer
Haha, well I guess it'll be nice to have some fruit not ravaged by the wildlife that we can enjoy. I appreciate the feedback eventhough it wasn't what I was hoping for...thanks.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Plant them in the yard. Just remember to cover them if it gets below 10 degrees. I've planted several, but I'm lazy, and now I have none.

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
I have the Brown Turkeys and Chicago's. I mulch the base of them really well in late October and it seems to help a lot. I knew my kids and wife liked figs, but didn't think I did until I started growing them. I have 13 trees and in the last two years they've really started to produce. I think the Chicago taste better than the Brown Turkey, but both are good.

2nd Calling

Six Pointer
I have the Brown Turkeys and Chicago's. I mulch the base of them really well in late October and it seems to help a lot. I knew my kids and wife liked figs, but didn't think I did until I started growing them. I have 13 trees and in the last two years they've really started to produce. I think the Chicago taste better than the Brown Turkey, but both are good.
How long after planting before you started to get a decent crop? I was assuming, like other fruit trees, that I should expect about 3 years without any fruiting.

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
I started to get a few the second year. After that, they trees grew huge and started producing more. 3 years sounds about right for cuttings