Brook Trout

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
you making me hungry season opens Sat you can guess what ill be frying for supper to watch race this wknd with some cornbread and pork and beans

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Congratulations! That is a real trophy! I am a wannabe NC trout fisherman and out of curiosity and education I was wondering if this is a stocked fish? He is so big and brightly colored and the fins appear fully intact. Aren't native Brookies typically very small or can they eventually grow to this size in NC streams?

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Congratulations! That is a real trophy! I am a wannabe NC trout fisherman and out of curiosity and education I was wondering if this is a stocked fish? He is so big and brightly colored and the fins appear fully intact. Aren't native Brookies typically very small or can they eventually grow to this size in NC streams?

I imagine this fish was a stocked fish.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
looks like a stocker ive caught some up to 10" but they are a heck of alot more colored up than that one.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Stocker I would guess he was in delayed harvest waters fishing is good there now but catch and release only

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
I imagine this fish was a stocked fish.
Absolutely... I've fished virtually everything in Ashe County from the New River to wet dew and there are very few places that have "native" brook trout and even those are Northern Strain and not true native Southern App strain brookies. Nice fish though! Were you in DH bordering Virginia?

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Absolutely... I've fished virtually everything in Ashe County from the New River to wet dew and there are very few places that have "native" brook trout and even those are Northern Strain and not true native Southern App strain brookies. Nice fish though! Were you in DH bordering Virginia?

Yes. Not too far south of the VA line.
Relatively close to the campground.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Yes. Not too far south of the VA line.
Relatively close to the campground.
10-4 May head up there next week as I have to go tidy up a place I’m fixing to put for sale about an hour from there. Awesome place to fish.... there and if ever get a chance go to the upper tuck DH in Cullowhee. My son went to school there cause of the stories from the trout fishing / backpacking I did in the area when I was a younger man.FYI He majored in biology w/ aminor in fisheries mgmt so I have a lot of interesting info on research he did on Brookies and “ native trout” which actually aren’t . He taught me a lot of fly fishing entomology which confuses the heck outta me. :unsure: