Brood X

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Anyone seeing cicadas? I haven’t seen much of anything of this huge hatch around New Bern/ Morehead City. And I haven’t heard much about it from my friends in WV either. Was thinking it was supposed to take place in May-June.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I’ve not seen the first one in Randolph or Montgomery counties. I just had the first firelflies of the year last week

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Last year was the year for us. At least it was in the mountains. They were everywhere for 3-4 weeks. Chickens had a feeding frenzy.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I’ve not seen the first one in Randolph or Montgomery counties. I just had the first firelflies of the year last week
Interesting. I figured we on the coast had escaped but I’ve been to Raleigh and Charlotte within the last month and didnt see any there either…

cncwmg

Four Pointer
Just heard cicadas in Wake County for the first time this year today. They aren't Brood X though, just the annuals. There are over 14 species of cicadas known in NC.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I saw a bunch in Maryland last week

I was not far from the Maryland line heading to the Shenandoah Mnt. Parkway in northern Va last week and they were everywhere at a place we stopped for fuel. So many in fact I had to close the van door to keep them out. Walked over to some small trees and there were more on it than there were leaves. Pretty thick and they sure make some noise!

thandy

Ten Pointer
Seem like last year they were bad towards the mtns in Wilkes county but I have had them all over my yard and pool this year in Wilkes.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Here in east TN they were unlike anything I’ve ever heard. Molts and live ones everywhere. I mowed my yard about 2 weeks ago and they were all over me and the lawnmower. Imagine mayfly hatches you’ve seen pics of but it was cicadas instead. If you got in wooded areas, you couldn’t hear yourself think. More like a high pitched roar than the usual buzz you hear when you think of summer and cicadas.
they have all but disappeared/gone silent in the last week though.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Here in east TN they were unlike anything I’ve ever heard. Molts and live ones everywhere. I mowed my yard about 2 weeks ago and they were all over me and the lawnmower. Imagine mayfly hatches you’ve seen pics of but it was cicadas instead. If you got in wooded areas, you couldn’t hear yourself think. More like a high pitched roar than the usual buzz you hear when you think of summer and cicadas.
they have all but disappeared/gone silent in the last week though.
I know where I wanna be hunting spring 2023

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Only see the annual ones here in southern Piedmont nc but they are still around in September. Can't hear nothing coming through the woods when you're up in the trees with them

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I went to eastern TN on Saturday evening. In both Carter and Washington Co.'s it was so bad that you absolutely couldnt talk or think after about 10 minutes of it. Waterboarding cant be that bad.

Going 65 down the road with the windows up and the radio on you could still hear it.

It almost drove my wife crazier 😃

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Awesome, for some reason the cicadas fascinate me.

I was cruising timber in 2016 when brood V hatched in WV and saw turkeys up in the trees midday. Just an all around pretty cool event, love seeing the fish blowing up on them as well

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
Awesome, for some reason the cicadas fascinate me.

I was cruising timber in 2016 when brood V hatched in WV and saw turkeys up in the trees midday. Just an all around pretty cool event, love seeing the fish blowing up on them as well
I've used them for smallmouth and it's a lot of fun