Brisket Smoking

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Done plenty of Butts before but never a brisket. I plan on trying a Brisket this afternoon.

What time/temp/methods do you guys do for brisket smoking? I already have the seasoning mix i want to use.

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer
Lay it out ASAP to be room temp season accordingly 225-240 fatside uo 8-9 hours
Like place water in a pan under mine if possible

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
alright, so...

Allowed the meat to "warm" to room temp.

seasoned and put it on the smoker.

Target is 225 for the duration of the smoke.

What temp to wrap? This is the biggest difference i have seen in the brisket vs pulled pork.

I'm used to the "done" vs "time and temp"..., but i never wrap a butt when i'm smoking pork.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I’ll probably be against the grain here, but I like to cook them fast at 350 on the smoker until it hits about 170 and stalls, then I put it in a covered foil pan with a little worschester sauce and cook it at 450 until it gets to 195-198. Since it’s covered this can be done in the oven if you want. I leave it in that pan and put it in a cooler with towels over it for up to an hour before serving. I let one get away from me one time and it got to 200, made it too tender for my liking. Just typing this is making me hungry. Lol

ETA: When I cook this way the brisket taste just as good or better than a long smoke and only takes 5-6 hours. Also went with the foil pan because I hate messing with trying to wrap a 175 degree piece of meat in foil lol

ETA x2: I trim the fat down to a thin layer...

Last edited:

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I rub my brisket with EVOO and light coating of McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning. Most important part is the Brisket itself. For me Piggly Wiggly is the only place to buy them. I have tried them from Walmart, but not enough grain.
It is up to you on the Wrapping or Not. No wrap, Foil Wrap, Peach Paper Wrap. All depends on how strong you want the beef taste.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Wish I had read this last night or week lol. I'm sure it's done now.

But I had a killer post about how to exactly cook a Brisket without breaking the NDC I signed when I took the class lol.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
How is it going/did it go? If you do much smoking, smokingmeatforums is an incredible resource to be a part of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strut buster

Eight Pointer
Hope you started with a packer brisket, flat and point together, and not just a flat itself. They are much leaner and not nearly as forgiving. But flats are the most common thing you see. For whatever reason, the Wal-Mart at Jonestown/Hanes in W-S always has really good whole packers when I rarely find them in the higher end stores around here.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
last couple i did took 14 hours or so at 220 ..watch temp when it stops rising or [stalls] wrap and put back on grill until the temperature probe gets loose feeling when you wiggle it 195 to 210 internal temp

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It was a flat only as thats all I could find locally. Will definitely look for a full brisket some other time.

The bark turned out very good but I think the meat could have used just a little longer to get to the tenderness i wanted. Overall id give it a "B" taking into account that it was my first brisket. I'll be trying it again over the summer though for sure.
5885d72e0d00d3bcaff5a0d1317259ea.jpg

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
The big key is wrapping the whole pan in beach towels and letting it sit in a sealed cooler for 1-2 hours. It will re-absorb some of the juice and stay warm while you prepare the other fixings!

Last edited:

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
The other big issue on tenderness is the way you cut the brisket. Make sure you are cutting across the grain. Elton Brown, Food Network, described this best by using straws and showing how much more tender something is just by the way you cut the meat according to the grain of the meat.