Bridges and Overpasses

double

Twelve Pointer
Whats with the horrific step up and drop offs on these bridges. Me and the wife went to Atlanta last weekend and drove her Camaro man on a couple of those bridges I thought the car was gonna bottom out. Why can the states not just have a smooth transition from road to bridge. It seem to be that the newer the rd the worse the transitions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It is because the bridges are built on very sturdy foundations while roads are built on a base of sand and stone on a “solid” compacted soil. The road actually settles and shifts while the bridge is very rigid. Hence the bump at the end of bridges.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I thought it was just me. When I used to pull my skiff down 40 to the beach. I looked back at some of those bridges because I thought we lost it. I think they had Ray Charles on the paving crew.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The bridges, end bents are placed on piles. Very solid.
The problem is the road bed.
You have the road/pavements on top of the road bed, between thst you have a section called an approach slab. The range between 12' to about 50' being the longest used.
With all the water, wet/dry change and other soil problems the approach slab will settle some. They have started a maintenance program to lift them back in to place and fill the void using fill pumped in. Most being grout or flowable fill.