Breech loading muzzleloading rifles?

Should these 'nitrofire' rifles be legalized in NC for 'blackpowder firearms season'?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like the WRC is looking at legalizing them for 2021.

No more details than that, sorry.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Blackpowder season has become a joke.

Take one week and give it back to archery only season and fold the other week into the gun/any legal weapon season.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Per the link above, you still have to load the projectile from the muzzle. This only allows you to use a cartdige of pre-measured propellant, which the primer is also placed. I hope some idiot doesn't load the primer and propellant cartridge first before ramming the projectile down the muzzle, and shoot themselves in the process.

I'll stick to loading my loose blackhorn 209 and hornady SST from the muzzle, with a cheddite primer inserted at the breech last.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Blackpowder season has become a joke.

Take one week and give it back to archery only season and fold the other week into the gun/any legal weapon season.

Do you blackpowder? Or hunt for that matter?

As far as I'm concerned Muzzleloader Season can be three... even four weeks long.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Do you blackpowder? Or hunt for that matter?

As far as I'm concerned Muzzleloader Season can be three... even four weeks long.

Where do we draw the line on whats legal and whats not?

Are single shot breech loading cartridge rifles next?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
This proposed rule amendment will allow for the use of pre-loaded powder capsules in muzzleloaders during blackpowder season.

Justification: Products are currently commercially available that make the loading and reloading aspect of using a muzzleloader much easier and safer for hunters. Though the bullet is loaded through the muzzle of the rifle, the powder capsule is loaded through the breech. So, while this system does not used fixed ammunition, the powder is not loaded in the same manner as with a regular inline muzzleloader. Thus, this blackpowder firearm does not meet the current definition in rule. This proposed amendment will allow for the use of new technology that is less intimidating to hunters and may increase opportunities for hunters to use muzzleloaders in a safe way

Safer still are metallic cartridge guns

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I see that Bass Pro Shops is charging a 20 dollar hazardous shipping fee if you order the Nitrofire cartridges from them online.

26dollars plus 20 dollars just for the cartridges.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
This proposed amendment will allow for the use of new technology that is less intimidating to hunters and may increase opportunities for hunters to use muzzleloaders in a safe way.

Official justification of this proposed rule change.

"Regular" muzzleloading guns are intimidating and dangerous!

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Proposed changes to definition of 'blackpowder firearm':
As used in this Rule, blackpowder firearms means

"Any firearm - including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system - manufactured in or before 1898, that cannot use fixed ammunition; any replica of this type of firearm if such replica is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; and any muzzle-loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle-loading or cylinder-loading handgun that is designed to use blackpowder, blackpowder substitute, or any other propellant loaded through the muzzle or cylinder muzzle, cylinder, or breech and that cannot use fixed ammunition."

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Proposal H1

This proposal modifies the definition of a muzzleloading firearm to allow for the use of pre-loaded powder capsules in muzzleloaders during blackpowder season.

Products are currently commercially available that make the loading and reloading aspect of using a muzzleloader much easier and safer for hunters. Though the bullet is loaded through the muzzle of the rifle, the powder capsule is loaded through the breech. So, while this system does not used fixed ammunition, the powder is not loaded in the same manner as with a traditional sidelock or inline muzzleloader. Thus, this blackpowder firearm does not meet the current definition in rule. This proposed amendment will allow for the use of new technology that is less intimidating to hunters and may increase opportunities for hunters to use muzzleloaders in a safe way

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Only a few hours left to comment on legalizing breech loading "muzzle loaders" and other changes

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Open the season up to any implement of choice. 4 doe 2 buck and you are done. Problem solved.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Archery until Veterans Day. Rifle for four weeks, then black powder for the rest of the season. -- everywhere in the state.

... If I were king for a day.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm hoping that you folks who fall into CRC's baited traps don't really think we should start in Sept and kill our limits (4 doe 2 buck) by any weapon we choose as quick as we can and then we're done!!

What happens to the enjoyment of the green undisturbed woods in archery season, the turning of the leaves during ML season and the crispness of the fall/winter woods during gun season?

What happens to the breeding seasons which the NCWRC uses to set the dates while also trying to afford hunters the most enjoyment?

Why can't we just enjoy what we have instead of screwing with it??

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Enough of this garbage. CRC, if you post another thread attacking muzzle loaders or muzzle loader season you will be given a vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.