Break out another thousand

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well when I sold Justin my last boat I said that's it, no more, I lied, in less than 3 mos. I was looking.

They have cut all the timber around here and with that my coon hunting places have about dried up close to home. There are thousands of acres of good hunting along the river. So I started looking for a boat I could rig for hunting and fishing here around the house.

The problem was they were either beaten to pieces or high is giraffe azz. I finally found a basically solid boat that I didn't think was a bad price.

It had close to three hundred hole in it from someone going crazy with tek screws installing several different duck blinds over the years, in the ribs and front deck. I welded all them shut. Then made storage under the seats. Put a false bottom in it and put closed cell foam under that. Made a fuel tank and battery holder up front to offset weight, also made a removable grab bar. Then put rod holder bases up both sides.
Also put anchor mates on it. Today I painted it.

Now it is just run some fuel lines and wire it and go see what the flatheads are doing. IMG_0591.jpgIMG_0592.jpgIMG_0593.jpgIMG_0594.jpg

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Nicely done. I finished painting my boat today. Wiring is next. Did a new transom and flooring and made storage space as well. Glad to be almost done.
I really like your flooring.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nicely done. I finished painting my boat today. Wiring is next. Did a new transom and flooring and made storage space as well. Glad to be almost done.
I really like your flooring.
It is like allot of stuff I use, the result of a scrounge. I was putting off doing the floor to aluminum came down and I found a piece of .063 8' wide X 14' long for $100. It was aircraft grade which made it a steal. I jumped on it. Turns out it was out of a trailer (as in tractor trailer) factory. It was new but a drop piece. Kinda hateful to work that stuff but it is tough as woodpeckers lips.

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
It is like allot of stuff I use, the result of a scrounge. I was putting off doing the floor to aluminum came down and I found a piece of .063 8' wide X 14' long for $100. It was aircraft grade which made it a steal. I jumped on it. Turns out it was out of a trailer (as in tractor trailer) factory. It was new but a drop piece. Kinda hateful to work that stuff but it is tough as woodpeckers lips.
That is a steal. I will have to keep my eyes open for a deal like that.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Buddy of mine got a 40hp fuel injected surface drive a few months ago. We took it drum fishing a week or 2 back on some grass flats, riding and sight casting to em. We got right at 10 miles per gallon. 😳 fuel economy blew me away compared to an outboard jet.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Buddy of mine got a 40hp fuel injected surface drive a few months ago. We took it drum fishing a week or 2 back on some grass flats, riding and sight casting to em. We got right at 10 miles per gallon. 😳 fuel economy blew me away compared to an outboard jet.
That one started out life at 23 HP, it is in the upper 40's now. I don't know what the fuel consumption will be but I am guessing not great. I do know it will haul ass from the test run when I bought it. Most of my running will be at way less than WOT so that will help my fuel consumption quite a bit.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Dang Tim, I can tell you hate retirement more and more every day. I’m still planning to come run some beagles with ya when deer season ends over there this upcoming season

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dang Tim, I can tell you hate retirement more and more every day. I’m still planning to come run some beagles with ya when deer season ends over there this upcoming season
Looks like I may have one to run with you. I have one beagle that I was using as a jump dog when I was running curs on deer. He handles like a dream and my grandkids love him. I didn’t have the heart to get rid of him when I went to fast dogs. I let him out every day when I am cleaning kennels. I guess he figured since I wouldn’t take him deer hunting he has reverted back to rabbits. He has been burning them up every evening.

Most likely I will have to get it straight with him that deer aren’t cool anymore but smart as he is that won’t be an issue.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Looks like I may have one to run with you. I have one beagle that I was using as a jump dog when I was running curs on deer. He handles like a dream and my grandkids love him. I didn’t have the heart to get rid of him when I went to fast dogs. I let him out every day when I am cleaning kennels. I guess he figured since I wouldn’t take him deer hunting he has reverted back to rabbits. He has been burning them up every evening.

Most likely I will have to get it straight with him that deer aren’t cool anymore but smart as he is that won’t be an issue.
That’s awesome. Sounds like a great dog. We run for awhile last night. You talk about HUMID

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well I have been through with the boat project a while. A guy brought a nice aluminum trailer down here about a month ago for repairs.
Turns out he had bought a boat/trailer combo sight unseen in Fla. The trailer was grossly undersized. My guess from the looks of it they left the boat docked and just used the trailer in emergencies to pull the boat out. Anyway he broke the trailer in Ga. towing up here and had to have the whole rig brought here on a big rollback.

He had since bought a tandem trailer and was in a hurry to get this one fixed as he was going to go on a several state trip towing the boat and trailer with his motor home. He wanted this trailer fixed so as to sell it before he left.

Soooooo the wheels started turning and I told him I could solve both his problems. I would just buy it. Made him an offer and 67681CB3-DF59-468C-B162-26097B6BF837.jpegwound up with it. Fixed it and modified it for my boat. I really like it.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Well I have been through with the boat project a while. A guy brought a nice aluminum trailer down here about a month ago for repairs.
Turns out he had bought a boat/trailer combo sight unseen in Fla. The trailer was grossly undersized. My guess from the looks of it they left the boat docked and just used the trailer in emergencies to pull the boat out. Anyway he broke the trailer in Ga. towing up here and had to have the whole rig brought here on a big rollback.

He had since bought a tandem trailer and was in a hurry to get this one fixed as he was going to go on a several state trip towing the boat and trailer with his motor home. He wanted this trailer fixed so as to sell it before he left.

Soooooo the wheels started turning and I told him I could solve both his problems. I would just buy it. Made him an offer and View attachment 93391wound up with it. Fixed it and modified it for my boat. I really like it.

Make certain that the isolator pads are still in place between the alum and any "other" metals....

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

I have several sheets of 1/8" - 36"x144" smooth aluminum if you need any for boat or other projects. Nice looking work on that boat.

<>< Fish

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Make certain that the isolator pads are still in place between the alum and any "other" metals....
They had been long gone. New ones in there now. One place where a U bolt was had almost eaten all the way through a piece of 3"X3" X1/4" tubing. I had to build it back up.