Box Blind Window Ideas

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I'm in the process of building a box blind for when I take my young boys hunting. I've got it all figured out with the exception of how I want the windows. I'm torn between plywood vs plexiglass windows. I'm currently leaning towards plexiglass so that I can see through them while keeping heat in with a buddy heater when its cold out but I'm not a big fan of having to open them when we see a deer. I just prefer to keep the movement to as minimal as possible which would cause me to lean back to just using plywood and opening the windows when I'm hunting. Also if I do go plexiglass, I'm torn between using hinged or sliding windows. The hinged would be easier to make but would have the most movement to open. The sliding windows could be cracked open for a shot with minimal movement.

What do you guys normally use and what have you found that works the best?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Acrylic windows work well if you know someone who does boat or car tops. It's very clear, noiseless and flexible.

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I also use plexiglass. Tinted would be good if facing east or west with no shade. You can make a poor man's sliding window by cutting a double wide groove down the middle of the 2 inch side of any board (2x4, 2x6 etc.) with a tablesaw .5 to 1 inch deep. Mount the boards on the top and bottom of the opening. Just put two pieces of plexiglass in the grooves that slightly overlap each other. If they stick when sliding then a shot of silicone in the grooves will fix it.

Last edited:

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
I use real single or double hung house windows. Go down to your local lumber supply house and ask them if they have any surplus windows they’d like to part with. They will usually have some and I’ve paid anywhere from nothing to $50.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All mine are open. No muss no fuss. Only need about 6". Fully enclosed heated stands, imo, fog the windows anyway. Sure, it'll be a bit cool, but no worries dealing with the noise and movement of windows.
BUT, I do seal the openings after season with wax coated cardboard to keep out nesting birds, especially the buzzards as they will make a dang mess... I learned that lesson.

Eubanks01

Eight Pointer
This is how I did mine. Plexi was to expensive for my taste.

Attachments

• 20190126_180206.jpg
    20190126_180206.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20190127_091243.jpg
    20190127_091243.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20190127_090615.jpg
    20190127_090615.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 41

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
Pls I doesn’t seem to last long enough for the cost. I tried plexus once and they yellowed and scratched awful bad in a year or two.

NCdoe

Ten Pointer
My husband and I use plexiglass. We cut it about a half inch wider than the window opening. The window opening is wood and opens down. We use a long screw to hold to it so we can let it down slowly and quitely. If it is a warm day we don't use the plexiglass. If it is cold and we use our heaters, we rest the plexiglass on a ledge under the window opening and keep it in place with push pins on each side.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've bought DeerView windows before. Price isn't terrible, a little high, but the quality is there. I prefer sliders as it's limited movement. For mine, I did a slider on the front and flips on the side where there wasn't much of a shot, so it was more just to watch. You add that with a little camo net curtain and you're in business. Plus, a good window will help keep out critters and the cold.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Bunch of spoiled hunters.... talking about heaters and windows and such.... next thing you know ac units will be involved....?
We don’t have any windows in any of ours.... but on them northeast windy days ... I break out the blanket!!

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
Find a golf cart shop and see if they have any old windshields. They are plexiglass and most times they’ll give them away. That’s what I’ve been using lately.

richard corn

Ten Pointer
No one mentioned any big screen tv's with Playstation and Netflicks hooked up. With the economy and money flowing I can't understand why no one has upgraded.

Cam

Four Pointer
If you know any local farmers that have converted school busses for hauling tobacco. The windows out of the buss works perfect for box blind windows. We get all we can get ahold of.

Southern

Ten Pointer
Any of you ever use the hunters comfort stands? He has a very simple but effective window design. I have tried to replicate it but I cant find who makes the metal track for the panels to slide in. If you can figure that out windows would be easy and very, very quiet.

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
Mobile home windows from mobile home supply store. Work great and won’t break the bank. Usually aluminum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
ours hinge at the bottom and drop inside, so the glare goes up in the sky, not down in their faces.