Bowhunting during gun season

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
Am I the only one that had rather keep on bowhunting during the gun season ? Most of my buddies had rather gun hunt and think I have lost my mind. lol I just get more enjoyment out of it when I hunt with my bow.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Same. However I go out to do some chores and bring a shotgun to help fill the freezer. Wouldn’t you know the buck I’ve be after with my bow shows up.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
You can take a bow, see one in gun range. Take a gun and see one in bow range...all follows the "squirrel theory" imo....just the way it goes

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have a small plot of land I hunt that I could legally and safely use a rifle on, but I am certain that neighbors hearing a 30.06 go off would not appreciate, so I choose to kill those deer in that block with a bow. That has been true of other little plots before, and there's something about slipping in and taking deer out silently that I enjoy.

n.d.woods

Eight Pointer
I live in KS now, it has a 3+ month bow season, an early 10 day muzzleloader season, and a 10 day rifle season after the rut. Ohh and it's one buck only. I have thought some recently, if NC was like this I bet there would be monsters there just like here. I know that's not wanted and probably wouldn't meet management goals, but it would be some amazing hunting.

Last edited:

NCBowhunter84

Button Buck
I quit gun hunting in 2011. I can’t get enough of shooting archery. Whether it’s at a target or hunting, I love all parts of it. I get super excited with a deer in bow range as I play the game of trying to hide long enough to draw the bow and settle the pin. The added challenge makes it so much more fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lastoneout

Button Buck
I don’t really gun hunt maybe once a year. I lose a lot of motivation/ interest when gun season rolls around.

cmcarter

Six Pointer
You’re definitely not the only one. I bow hunt Johnston Wake and Chatham all season. I love watching deer close
Took a buck of a lifetime last year with my bow in muzzleloader season. And every doe is a treat.

Last edited:

HookHunter

Button Buck
100% bow all season. got my first rifle this year and I want to take a deer with it, but something about watching that arrow fly to its target and the skill of getting in close. I took my shotgun a few times over the years but I never even see a deer when I have it. There have been many times I go out with gun hunters and I'm the one who comes home with the deer.

You’re definitely not the only one. I bow hunt Johnston Wake and Chatham all season. I love watching deer close
Took a buck of a lifetime last year with my bow in muzzleloader season. And every doe is a treat.

HookHunter

Button Buck
One more thing, if I hunt archery zones, I can take doe or buck and even hunt turkeys. For gun I can only take a buck most of the season and need a draw for turkey. Archery zones are convenient too. Sometimes I only have a few hours so it just all leads to the bow...

popekilldragon

Button Buck
I bow-hunt on the ground all season, unless I've got a friend/family member who wants to sit in a tree stand and use rifles on opposite sides of a funnel/bedding area. Long and short of it is that I just don't find it as interesting -- nothing against gun hunters at all, but scouting for multiple weekends and tracking and sneaking up to within 30yds of something you've "figured out" is way more exciting for me personally.

If I were in a position where getting meat was life or death though, yeah, rifle all day. Thankfully I'm not.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
In the Croatan I bow hunt and gun hunt the same way. In a stand, often times in spots where I can’t see further than bow range anyways. I take the gun more often but the bow gets out during rifle season sometimes. When I’m in WV I like gun hunting because I can walk while hunting but most places here seem too thick or have to many other hunters. But in WV most of the season is archery only anways.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I go back and forth depending on the day, weather, location etc.. Took the bow in the snow storm last Sunday morning.. could not have seen through the scope on the rifle anyway and I went into an area that was more sheltered to start with in hopes of seeing movement..

25contender

Twelve Pointer
My nephew and I have been doing a little doe harvesting. He shot this nice doe today from the same tree he shot a 9ptr from Dec 29th last year.Resized_20181227_171932.jpeg

eoverby92

Button Buck
I prefer my bow thru most of season as I typically hunt thickets where you may have 30yards of shooting range. However during rifle season o fins myself in more open areas of upwards of 200-300 yards of range during peak rut where deer are on the move so I go to the rifle. However that being said that’s only for 5 days out of the season normally. I’ve hunted with black powder and took my second biggest buck with it but adrenaline rush is still never the same as harvesting a deer with a bow. I’m really excited about next season because I finally decided to step up from a Mathews Feather Max Solocam to a Mathews Halon 6!