Bowfishing for Beginners

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Hey folks,
My woman went from being a vegetarian for 14 yrs to eating wild game I bring home myself to fishing with me to watching me dove hunt and helping me beaver trap. She’s come a long way. But she has no interest in killing. Which is ok w me. I don’t wanna push stuff on her and make it unattractive. That being said, she’s really attracted to bowfishing and understands she’s gonna kill the fish. So i def wanna encourage her as she evolves as an outdoors woman. Do you guys have any recommendations for a basic set up? Maybe they’re all pretty decent . Maybe some are junk. I have no clue. She went to an outdoors camp for years as a kid and loves archery. Thanks. Hope everyone had a good holiday.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Really all you need is a basic recurve with a stabilizer bushing, I'd suggest 30# or so. There are lots of push-button type reels available that can be mounted on them, I used a Zebco for years. Add a decent fiberglass arrow with a fishing point and you're good to go.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
I use a 20something year old browning turned down to about 40 pounds. There's a company that makes a product called "no-glove" I want to say benders maybe? So I can finger shoot. Bow fishing is a ton of fun! She'll enjoy it.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Really all you need is a basic recurve with a stabilizer bushing, I'd suggest 30# or so. There are lots of push-button type reels available that can be mounted on them, I used a Zebco for years. Add a decent fiberglass arrow with a fishing point and you're good to go.
Thanks for the tips

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I like the old school spools that you just wrap the cord around. call me old school but i dont like the fishing reels for bowfishing but she may like the reel better.

I use a finger tab , but make sure you get one with mole hair and not calf hair. Gar are my focus on Bowfishing

I dont shoot big carp as I fish for big carp but i make cutbait out of the little ones. I has really had a thousand in front of me here is why I keep looking left to right and as they are all moving.

Last edited:

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Ah, Chris !
I use a 45 yr old fiberglass recurve, but anything with the bushing to put a reel on will be fine.
Sounds like Rae would enjoy a BOW Outing (Becoming an Outdoor Woman)

https://www.ncwildlife.org/Search-Results#?cludoquery=‘BOW’ Program Brings Outdoor Recreation Opportunities to N.C. Women&cludopage=1&cludorefpt=Learning About North Carolina's Wildlife Resources&cludorefurl=https://www.ncwildlife.org/Learning/Learning-About-North-Carolinas-Wildlife-Resources/CoursesSeminarsWorkshops/BOW&cludorefact=BOW&cludorefaci=3

not sure if that link will work but it is at ncwildlife.org

she could learn shooting, fishing, backing a trailer, orienteering, or any # of activities and they have them in the mtns often
That’s funny I was just telling her about B.o.w. !

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I like the old school spools that you just wrap the cord around. call me old school but i dont like the fishing reels for bowfishing but she may like the reel better.

I use a finger tab , but make sure you get one with mole hair and not calf hair. Gar are my focus on Bowfishing

I dont shoot big carp as I fish for big carp but i make cutbait out of the little ones. I has really had a thousand in front of me here is why I keep looking left to right and as they are all moving.
That was awesome

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I had the bowfishing boat, shot tourneys and went almost every weekend. Shot literally thousands of fish and took a lot of guys who’d never been and pissed off a lot of wives when their husbands found the addiction of staying out all night chasing fish under the lights.
Good info been given already but you can buy a brand new bowfishing bow package very reasonably priced. I’m not sure the quality of this one, but you get the idea.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Bruin-Outdoo...4%26rvr_ts%3D4b3c4f4e1670aad37b328e64ffffcbd0

Jbo919

Button Buck
I use my diamond deer hunting compound bow it’s light and short so I don’t get so tired holding it all day. I like the retriever reels I’ve used them all. With the hand wrap the line falls off and gets tangled every where especially if you are walking. The zebco style I’ve seen people forget to push the button and lose several arrows although a lot of people swear by them. I first started with an old Oregon compound and hand wrap it was a waste the retriever was a way better deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Chris
I'll give Rae my fiberglass set up if y'all want it.
It is old school like MacNC spoke of.
My kids will never use it. No shallows with carp anywhere near here.
I'd rather it get used than just sit, like it has been for the last 20 yrs.
BONUS is that you can turn what she bags into coon and otter bait!
You will only need to buy her a shooting glove.....we found gloves stay in place better than tabs.

Do you need it by Christmas?........for a present/surprise?

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Chris
I'll give Rae my fiberglass set up if y'all want it.
It is old school like MacNC spoke of.
My kids will never use it. No shallows with carp anywhere near here.
I'd rather it get used than just sit, like it has been for the last 20 yrs.
BONUS is that you can turn what she bags into coon and otter bait!
You will only need to buy her a shooting glove.....we found gloves stay in place better than tabs.

Do you need it by Christmas?........for a present/surprise?
Thanks so much John that would be awesome. In time for Xmas would be good if it’s not an inconvenience

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Never an inconvenience to drive to the mtns for a day for 1 of my students!
I can bring the slider locks and shock springs too.
How far you from Morganton?...….. meet at Applebees for lunch on the West side of town?
Can't be this Saturday, maybe the next.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Never an inconvenience to drive to the mtns for a day for 1 of my students!
I can bring the slider locks and shock springs too.
How far you from Morganton?...….. meet at Applebees for lunch on the West side of town?
Can't be this Saturday, maybe the next.
You’re the man! Morganton is about 90 min. No problem at all. That sounds like a good plan. December 8 is the last day of gun season so I may be tied up that day.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
We are NOW thinking of making a 3 day camping trip, wkend of 15th, staying near Morganton...birthday trip for me.
Last yrs trip the same weekend in Mt Airy it snowed 3". !!
I can BOX THE BOW so Rae can't see it, then you can bring her to lunch too, for us to meet her, for our APPROVAL.!..lol.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
We are NOW thinking of making a 3 day camping trip, wkend of 15th, staying near Morganton...birthday trip for me.
Last yrs trip the same weekend in Mt Airy it snowed 3". !!
I can BOX THE BOW so Rae can't see it, then you can bring her to lunch too, for us to meet her, for our APPROVAL.!..lol.
That would be awesome John. My apprenticeship will be starting soon but I’m reasonably sure I’ll be on a Mon-Fri schedule. I will know by beginning to mid week that week you’re coming if I’m still good to go