Bow tuning

george426f

Four Pointer
Hey guys, I’m shooting a new arrow setup this year and having trouble getting the broad heads to shoot with field points. Last year I shot some Beman 340 spine with 100gr rages and swhackers. Decided to switch to a little heavier broadhead and go to fixed blades that can be sharpened and reused. Got some 300 spine arrows and 150gr magnus stinger buzzcuts. I’m getting a high right tear when paper tuning. 70lb bowtech assassin at 29” draw. I got some nice clean holes with my setup last year but had to back down one turn on the limb bolts to clean the holes up. Thought maybe the 340 spine arrows where a little weak for the full 70lbs. So I cranked the bolts back down to 70lbs since I figures the 300 spine would be good. I’ve read that a right tear is a sign of spine being too stiff. What weights are you guys running on the front of 300 spine arrows and getting things super dialed? I don’t want to go crazy heavy like seems to be the thing right now. Is there a way to get the glued in inserts out of the arrows to put some weighted inserts in?

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Bump rest micro shaves left or right. See how that works.
I haven’t shot though port in years.
Do field points and broadheads hit together?
if so.. I call it good.
do arrows fall on a vertical line out to 60yds if so. Good.

george426f

Four Pointer
Bump rest micro shaves left or right. See how that works.
I haven’t shot though port in years.
Do field points and broadheads hit together?
if so.. I call it good.
do arrows fall on a vertical line out to 60yds if so. Good.
no, broadheads are hitting about 2" to the left at 20 yards. I've adjusted sights for the broadheads but feel like that's just a bandaid and not fixing the problem. everything I've read says that the magnus stingers fly really well if the bow is tuned properly. I'll try these recommendations and see where it takes me. I should have been chasing this a month ago.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
What kind of bow? A little draw length adjustment sometimes fixes things so it’s not inducing torque.
what kind of fletching?
a straight small fletch is sometimes not enough to correct the arrow quick.
Then a slight bump in the rest left or right will fix it. Good luck

george426f

Four Pointer
Got my bow shooting nice holes when I got home from work. I decided to go back to moving the rest before I overthought things. Turns out my small adjustments to the rest before were too small to notice much difference lol started making bigger adjustments and had it dialed in pretty quick. I’ve just got a bag target at home so I can try my broadheads vs field tips yet but hopefully things have tightened up and I can get in the woods Friday. Thanks for the help advice fellas

court2005

Four Pointer
I ran into a similar situation as you in years past. This was my first year to try out nock tuning (ranch fairy) and I must say I am pleasantly please with how my broadheads are flying this year. Just shot yesterday and my magnus stingers where landing within a few inches of my field points at 40yards. I would suggest giving that a try.

JonBoy

Four Pointer
Is there a way to get the glued in inserts out of the arrows to put some weighted inserts in?
Take out the nock and slide a drill bit that's close to the inside diameter of your arrow shaft in the back of the arrow with the butt of the bit down (Towards the insert). Hold the back of you arrow, lift the front of the arrow up in the air and sling it down. You essentially have a slide hammer now. Do this repeatedly until the insert and drill bit fly out (might be a good idea to do this on carpet to dampen the flying projectiles when they let loose). I did this to get mine out and it worked for all but one (never got it out). I have heard that it can damage an arrow every now and then, but I didn't have any issues with mine. Good luck.