Bow string and cable replacement

agreenchicken

Ten Pointer
Ok boys school me on what company y’all are using. Been a while since I have bought a new set and its time. Will be going on a Mathews switchback! Thanks

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I use "Freedom Strings" made by Tim Carpenter at Gods Country Archery in Claremont. Former school teacher of mine. Great guy, top notch strings. Hands down the best Ive used in a long time...and Ive used them all...

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
John builds a top notch string. You have to be careful if you order winners choice for a Mathews. You need to specify that they serve the top of the y-cable where the yokes split to each wheel. It’s common place for them to not serve them and you can not get the proper idler alignment without it being served. Vapor Trail builds a nice string also.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
These guys have listed some good string builders.

Depending on what you are looking for, some of them can remove a strang or two to pick up a touch of speed. The newer string materials are much stronger with less stretch. Some advertise no stretch.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Winner’s choice was around when the switchback debuted. I took the zebra strings off my switchback when I ordered it, new. Just tell ‘em it’s for a switchback (actually, I don’t know how else you’d order strings and cables for a compound bow).

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I've had 60x, Vaportrail and JBK. My Vaportrail string stretched and I had a bad teflon slide they gave me. They replaced string and slide.

60x makes a good string. JBK has been the best I've used.

agreenchicken

Ten Pointer
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I have called and spoke with John and he’s building me a set of cables and string.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I've had 60x, Vaportrail and JBK. My Vaportrail string stretched and I had a bad teflon slide they gave me. They replaced string and slide.

60x makes a good string. JBK has been the best I've used.

Yep, JBK is who built my last 3 or 4 sets. Hands down the best I've had made.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m not questioning anyone’s experiences with a string builder.

But, I’m curious what makes one string “best”, for you.

I couldn’t care less about string color. What I’m interested in is a string that doesn’t stretch or twist (ie it keeps my specs intact for the long haul).

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
The guy that Im using now is very detail oriented. Very exacting in his method. Makes a great looking set of threads that are very clean in appearance. Offers any brand of material and stocks any color.
I like the time and load weight that he pre-stretches the strings and cables at. He is also very meticulous in applying all servings. Mostly, he has his serving jigs set correctly so the strings do not twist as he applies the servings. Most guys serve too tight and that is where a lot of peep rotation issues get magnified. Very clean servings that do not seperate over time and zero peep rotation issues. No stretch upon installation and very minimal creep over any length of time. Put them on, shoot the bow 5-6 times and they are stable and ready to tune.
Ive had lots of sets that required a bunch of shots to settle down. Ive also had sets from many people that never did settle down and I always had rotation issues. 60X comes to mind....

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
“Most” mass produced strings are made via a machine. As with any machine it’s has specs to work within and occasionally they get out of spec. In general most of, if not all of the string builders mentioned make there strings by hand one at a time and as such, they are more reliable for length and tighter which allows for less settling and removing the bow from its spec. The tag ends are typically tighter and served better. The center servings are tighter and less prone to separation when the loop is installed and tightened properly. The materials used are a matter of preference but they all have access to the same materials and each builder has there preference depending on bow type and application.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I Work in manufacturing. If a machine gets out of spec, it’s because a human allowed it.

How many archers know their bow's specs and keep detailed notes of their setups? If not, how would you know if your bow was out of spec?

Matthews Zebra strings used to be AWFUL for stretching. Today, not so much.

The colors are cool on some of these strings guys are making today, though. Conceded. ?

Last edited: