Bow season will be different this year

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
For the first time in 25 years I won't be toting a compound bow this next season. Shoulder issues required me to go a different route. This season a Bear Constrictor will be with me. 410 fps and only 10" axle to axle cocked, I think it will do the trick! Can't wait to see what she is capable of.

20210523_151422.jpg

Attachments

• 20210523_152633.jpg
    20210523_152633.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 60

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
For the first time in 25 years I won't be toting a compound bow this next season. Shoulder issues required me to go a different route. This season a Bear Constrictor will be with me. 410 fps and only 10" axle to axle cocked, I think it will do the trick! Can't wait to see what she is capable of.

View attachment 66925
Started on a recurve early on… then Shot compounds from 15yrs old until about 40 yrs old

switched to an xbow by default mainly due to being so busy since having kids…. Likely will go back to a compound one day BUT I love shooting a crossbow!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I shot longbows and recurves for fun,,,

my excaliber crossbow is a killer,,, but loud

need to get the compound back into action,,, likely heading to Iowa this year,,,

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's just cool...and it's gonna get a workout this Fall I'll bet. Bear has come a long way with it's crossbow line.

82ndAirborneVet

Four Pointer

View attachment 66925
How are you still liking that Bear? Looking at getting a crossbow myself.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I shot longbows and recurves for fun,,,

my excaliber crossbow is a killer,,, but loud

need to get the compound back into action,,, likely heading to Iowa this year,,,
i kinda like it that way.
it keeps me honest on shots cause i think i could "duck" in time on a long shot.. :) it is indeed that loud. :)

@Redeye you are in for a treat.
Oen big advantage that I hadnt really thought about until i went with the xbow is the lack of movement to take the shot.
No more freezing in mid draw and such.
Enjoy!

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
How are you still liking that Bear? Looking at getting a crossbow myself.
So far, I love it! I got my wife a Bear Saga 405 a couple years ago and she is deadly with it. Ive killed a deer with a crossbow before but have loved the challenge of a compound. Im really looking forward to hunting a little differently this year.

OntheHunt

Four Pointer
Bought a Centerpoint Amped 415 last year just to try something else. Crossbows are a blast to shoot. Once you find the right bolt/broadhead combo, they can be very accurate.

Just thought I'd share a tip- There is a company that sells high dollar setups, and they upgrade the scopes. You can buy "take off" scopes from some of the higher end crossbows, like the Ravins, for cheap! Many of the package deals these days come with crappy scopes, so these are great upgrades, especially the ones you can adjust to meet your bows FPS.
Take-Off Scopes : Wyvern Creations, Modern Crossbows and Accessories

82ndAirborneVet

Four Pointer
So far, I love it! I got my wife a Bear Saga 405 a couple years ago and she is deadly with it. Ive killed a deer with a crossbow before but have loved the challenge of a compound. Im really looking forward to hunting a little differently this year.
Did you ever look at the 10 point or wicked ridge ones? What made you go with Bear?

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Did you ever look at the 10 point or wicked ridge ones? What made you go with Bear?

Glanced at them but the Bear's price point fits my budget better; half the price of Ten Point. I work p/t at Academy in W-S in the hunting/fishing/firearms dept. I assemble all the crossbows and have been impressed with the features of Bear crossbows.

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Bought a Centerpoint Amped 415 last year just to try something else. Crossbows are a blast to shoot. Once you find the right bolt/broadhead combo, they can be very accurate.

Just thought I'd share a tip- There is a company that sells high dollar setups, and they upgrade the scopes. You can buy "take off" scopes from some of the higher end crossbows, like the Ravins, for cheap! Many of the package deals these days come with crappy scopes, so these are great upgrades, especially the ones you can adjust to meet your bows FPS.
Take-Off Scopes : Wyvern Creations, Modern Crossbows and Accessories

Good to know! Thanks!

82ndAirborneVet

Four Pointer
Glanced at them but the Bear's price point fits my budget better; half the price of Ten Point. I work p/t at Academy in W-S in the hunting/fishing/firearms dept. I assemble all the crossbows and have been impressed with the features of Bear crossbows.
Awesome, thanks for the info.