Bow Hunt Cary, NC?

Sfy03

Six Pointer
Contributor
Can anyone help?

Looking to find information about hunting inside the Cary, NC city limits with Archery on private property. Does anyone know if this is legal?

Searching for Urban Archery and it doesn't look like Cary participated last year. Since Cary folks seem a little _____ (fill in the blank) I'm not sure its legal. Just wanting to know legalities.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Sfy03

Six Pointer
Contributor
Thanks Crestliner.

I'm trying to determine what a "safety buffer of 1,000 feet in a straight-line from the archer" is? What are they defining as a "safety buffer" -- is that simply 'safe space' distance (no surroundings)?

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Whoa! To shoot a bow or crossbow, you need a 1000 ft straighline buffer.
And to think that I used to set up a target between apartment buildings and shoot each afternoon during the summertime when I lived there. I actually did that in 4 different locations in Cary. Not sure that would go over so well now.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I got these two in my back yard near Ritter Park in Cary a few years ago. I called the town about a predation permit but they said I couldn't bow hunt even with a predation permit.
Untitled.png

Travis299

Six Pointer
This is the Cary ordinance.
"
Sec. 22-52. Discharging firearms or other guns.
(a) No person shall fire or otherwise discharge any type of firearm, air gun, gun or pistol, or any spring gun, pistol, or other similar device which impels with force any projectile, shot or pellet of any kind within the corporate limits, unless:
(1) Such firing or discharge is made pursuant to an approved recreational or instructional program supervised by competent authority acceptable to either the director of parks and recreation or the chief of police; or
(2) When lawfully used in defense of person or property or pursuant to lawful directions of law enforcement officers.
(b) Police officers performing official duties are exempt from the provisions of this section.
(c) It shall be unlawful to discharge a bow and arrow or crossbow within the town limits unless carried out under the following restrictions and conditions:
(1) If used for target shooting, the arrows must be discharged into an archery backstop made for the purpose of stopping arrows. A safety buffer of 1,000 feet in a straight line from the archer is required within the incorporated area of the Town of Cary.
(2) Must be 18 years of age or in the company of a parent or guardian.
(3) For a bow and arrow or crossbow to be considered under this Code, it must have a draw strength of nine pounds or more. Anything less would be a toy and not considered under this Code.
(Code 1982, § 13-9.2; Ord. No. 96-002, 2-8-1996; Ord. No. 05-017, 11-10-2005)
State law reference—Local regulation of firearms, G.S. 14-409.40."

Kayak

Button Buck
We live in Cary and have about six deer in our yard every night and in the winter up to a dozen or so. Couple albino deer too which are cool to see.