Boss Shells

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Headed to Ocracoke in a couple of weeks and was told to try Boss Shells. I just ordered 4 boxes of #3s, anyone have any experience with these shells ?

rray11ncsu

Button Buck
Yessir with a carlsons cremator long range choke I was able to knock pintails down in a sink box there last year at 50 yards with a 25MPH north wind. Shot #3's. Bought a case of them after trying a couple boxes last year.

Like any other shell, I would pattern it with your gun and preferred choke so you know what to expect at 40 yards.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Headed to Ocracoke in a couple of weeks and was told to try Boss Shells. I just ordered 4 boxes of #3s, anyone have any experience with these shells ?
Took a box of 5's to North Dakota. Very impressed, very few cripples. For field hunting the 5's were pretty dang perfect. For pass shooting divers I'd have preferred the 4's but no complaints with the 5's. I think you'll find you like them.

A buddy of mine uses them with a .410 and while he picks his shots, kills ducks with them.

ThrillofDaChase

Ten Pointer
Currently I shoot the 5s out of my 20 Gauge and 4s out of my 12. Big fan of the shells. A couple of our group along with myself started using them last year. I think it smacks ducks pretty hard and we see less cripples. Everyone wants a decoying shot, but truth is you don't always get one and thats where they shine imo. Passing shots, or that second shot you take at forty yards on the second bird--or second shot on the first bird at forty because you missed. You can get more pellets in your pattern as well since you can back off shot size since pellets are retaining more energy because they are denser.

I have also shot the 3s and 3/5 blend from using some my buddies had, but prefer the 5s and 4s.

I still shoot other stuff and sure you can kill ducks with other stuff, but I like how they perform

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I’ve shot them since the first year they started producing them. #4’s are a sweet spot for ducks and geese but I also like the #3/5 blends because they have the same shot count as the #4’s in 12 and 20ga. Have also shot scoters and divers with the shorty #5’s and a swan. It’s not lead but it’s a heap better then steel. I’ve switched to 20ga full time.

Hazmt

Six Pointer
Thanks! Just looked them up. About $33/box. Almost as cheap as you can reload them with Rotometals #4 shot at $150/10lb.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Breaks down to around $28 a box buying them by the case. As much as I enjoy reloading between early goose then Divers here through the end of duck season in Arkansas I run through enough I would rather just buy them. They pattern good and kill clean so I’m cool with it.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I like them too, keep in mind they are 20/box or 200/ flat. But I’ll keep reloading HW13 for almost the same cost with a lot better umph.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I like them too, keep in mind they are 20/box or 200/ flat. But I’ll keep reloading HW13 for almost the same cost with a lot better umph.

I really like the Hevi Metal steel hw13 blends for the price. I usually get them for $19-$21 per box/case if I catch them on special.

If those Boss shells kill better than Hevi Metal, I’d be shocked.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I’ve shot a lot of Boss this year, mostly 5s. During the first 2 splits they were absolutely crushing ducks out of my 20gas, I only shot one duck with boss out of my 12ga during those splits and it folded up too. During this 3rd split though they definitely haven’t performed as well for me, I’ve had to shoot most birds 2-3 times. Also, the manufacturer reccomends using a full choke as they don’t pattern as tight as steel, but in my 12ga they pattern super high in anything tighter than a mod. I’ve got a few boxes left and will continue to use them in my timber holes where shots are pretty close, but make sure you pattern them first. Recently I’ve been getting cleaner kills from my Mid-Range and Long-Range choke with my usual Kent 3” 3s than with Boss.

Last edited:

cootmayne

Button Buck
I’ve shot a lot of Boss this year, mostly 5s. During the first 2 splits they were absolutely crushing ducks out of my 20gas, I only shot one duck with boss out of my 12ga during those splits and it folded up too. During this 3rd split though they definitely haven’t performed as well for me, I’ve had to shoot most birds 2-3 times. Also, the manufacturer reccomends using a full choke as they don’t pattern as tight as steel, but in my 12ga they pattern super high in anything tighter than a mod. I’ve got a few boxes left and will continue to use them in my timber holes where shots are pretty close, but make sure you pattern them first. Recently I’ve been getting cleaner kills from my Mid-Range and Long-Range choke with my usual Kent 3” 3s than with Boss.
I have noticed the same thing...first two or three trips with the bismuth loads it really had me thinking I could notice a difference. Here lately, I have actually been pretty disappointed with it. The shot is so brittle I cant see how it doesn't blow apart when you hit a wing bone. Also, I have been shooting out of a full choke and patterns are just OK at best. I definitely get better patterns out of my IM or M choke and steel with more even pellet distribution. Mainly this was an experiment for me to see if they extra cost per box was going to make a noticeable difference on kills and cripples. At this point I am not feeling good about it. I have not been shooting the boss shells though, have been shooting the hevi bismuth as well as kent bismuth both in 4s. The kent 4s are tiny if you cut the shell apart more like the size of 5 and 6 pellets with calipers.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I have noticed the same thing...first two or three trips with the bismuth loads it really had me thinking I could notice a difference. Here lately, I have actually been pretty disappointed with it. The shot is so brittle I cant see how it doesn't blow apart when you hit a wing bone. Also, I have been shooting out of a full choke and patterns are just OK at best. I definitely get better patterns out of my IM or M choke and steel with more even pellet distribution. Mainly this was an experiment for me to see if they extra cost per box was going to make a noticeable difference on kills and cripples. At this point I am not feeling good about it. I have not been shooting the boss shells though, have been shooting the hevi bismuth as well as kent bismuth both in 4s. The kent 4s are tiny if you cut the shell apart more like the size of 5 and 6 pellets with calipers.
Boss may be slightly less brittle than the others because it’s copper plated, but during pattern tests I was shooting at thin cardboard boxes and I would regularly find pellets that split in half and never made it out the back of the box. It’ll definitely kill ducks, but unless I see some magic results with it once my patternmaster gets here I’ll probably switch back to steel full time.

cootmayne

Button Buck
Boss may be slightly less brittle than the others because it’s copper plated, but during pattern tests I was shooting at thin cardboard boxes and I would regularly find pellets that split in half and never made it out the back of the box. It’ll definitely kill ducks, but unless I see some magic results with it once my patternmaster gets here I’ll probably switch back to steel full time.
While the copper plating sounds good in theory, I cant really buy that a super thin coating of copper is going to work to hold the bismuth together and make it less brittle. I just got in my replacement shells which I had some issues with, so more testing will continue. Jury still out for me.

Update: After more pattern testing with beretta a400, ive tried factory full, carlsons extended full and improved modified. Best patterns I am getting out of Hevi Bismuth 4's is around 50%. Counted 196 pellets in the shell and only getting 95 to 100 in a 30 inch circle at 40. Factory full had best pattern of 3 chokes I tried with it. Not very good in my opinion and far off from my steel numbers.

Last edited:

bte0816

Eight Pointer
I really like the Hevi Metal steel hw13 blends for the price. I usually get them for $19-$21 per box/case if I catch them on special.

If those Boss shells kill better than Hevi Metal, I’d be shocked.

Mind pointing me to that? The only shot I have seen they have that is higher than 12g/cc is the Hevi-18, even the Hevi-13 is only 12g/cc.

They turned me off years ago when they would make a blend or higher density shot then change it in the following years to be totally steel. Also, the constant misrepresentation of their densities. At least they finally started posting the "densities" in their advertising materials this year.

Clark

Ten Pointer
It’s called Hevi-Metal. Blend of hevi shot and steel. I believe they changed it this year to a bismuth/steel blend.
I have been using the old Hevi-Metal blend with Hevi-Shot. Will not be going back to the Bismuth blend.
I was going to buy the Boss bismuth except they charge so much for shipping I stopped the order. I may wait until the Kent bismuth is available locally.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I have been using the old Hevi-Metal blend with Hevi-Shot. Will not be going back to the Bismuth blend.
I was going to buy the Boss bismuth except they charge so much for shipping I stopped the order. I may wait until the Kent bismuth is available locally.

Same here. It's the best shot for the money IMO. I still have about 14 boxes. That should last me thru next season. Hopefully it wont. :) I'd rather shoot TSS 9's, but I can't afford that. LOL...

Wlfpkmann 1178

Had a tough time with boss shells. Lots of miss fires. Put heavy metal and had no problems.

likemy16

Button Buck
Shot 3/5 combos (12g) last year. Great for geese and ducks. I'm not the best shot and was still able to drop birds at 50 yards in wind. Trying #5s this year since mostly hunting ducks. Was shooting #3 hevihammer and hevi steel before, and find Boss to be superior. Never had an issue with misfires like Wlfpkmann 1178.

likemy16

Button Buck
If you order a case of 200 (or over $100) shipping is free.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Had a tough time with boss shells. Lots of miss fires. Put heavy metal and had no problems.
Sure your firing pin isn’t gunked up or the spring weak? They use a stiffer primer. My group has shot probably 8ish cases in 12 and 20ga and knock on wood haven’t had any misfires yet.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Partner and I have only shot 3-4 boxes each of Boss w/o any issues but have had multiple misfires with the Hevi Metals over several seasons. Couple of friends hunting with me also have had misfires. Don’t know why, i keep all my shells in a dry box when hunting. Don’t hear where other shell manufacturer have noticeable misfire occurrences but I’m sure they happen.