borrow an action wrench?

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Anyone around Winston have an internal style action wrench I can borrow for a savage (Remington)? Putting a budget (ish) build together and I’d rather not drop $75+ for one use if I don’t have to.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't have one, I know you can rent them online for around $25. to you pay shipping both ways you have just about bought one.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Worst part is that I had/have one. I think someone might have liked it better than I did because it’s MIA.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Toby..... is that to remove the barrel nut? I've got a 742 I need to take down for a friend, do some cleaning and replace the extractor clip on the bolt face but can't find a wrench that will fit between the rails.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
What I’m after/getting is an internal wrench that turns the action onto the barrel. The barrel nut will require another wrench (I have). It’s for a Remington 700 but will fit a savage 110/10 etc. Unsure of your application.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Copy. I doubt your wrench would work for me. The barrel nut sits between the action rails so it has to be something skinny to fit between them. As was mentioned before, I can buy one for $70 plus shipping but would probably never use it again. This project may just have to slide on to someone else.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
The first Savage barrel swap I did on my own I used homemade action blocks made from hardwood and a big vise. I lined the blocks with a couple of layers of 2" wide vinyl tape. It came out fine without crushing the action and it didn't turn the action in the blocks. That might be a DIY option if you are in a hurry. I went that route after reading about several people using that method on some Savage specific forums.

<>< Fish

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Toby..... is that to remove the barrel nut? I've got a 742 I need to take down for a friend, do some cleaning and replace the extractor clip on the bolt face but can't find a wrench that will fit between the rails.
Take a socket on a belt sander and thin down the walls then use a power handle. I used a lathe later after I had one to do one but my first one I used a sander.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I had thought about that but was afraid the walls would be too thin to hold. Do you remember what size socket you used? I thought I had read somewhere a 25/32 but that just sounded strange.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had thought about that but was afraid the walls would be too thin to hold. Do you remember what size socket you used? I thought I had read somewhere a 25/32 but that just sounded strange.
No, and I cut the size off the one I have so it would be pretty hard to tell exactly.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like 25/32" = 19.8438mm so a thin diameter 20mml 12pt or 6pt open end should work with a little modification. A thin wall 20mm socket should work also.

<>< Fish