Boone area late july

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
So my family has planned a vacation this summer in the boone/blowing rock / banner elk area in late July. Any recommendations on things for a family to check out that time of year? I know fishing will not be ideal in the heart of summer. my stepdad is a very proficient flyer fisherman and my brother isn’t half bad, they will want to give it a whirl. Any suggestions areas to fish would be great in PM. Hiking and tubing suggestions would be great as well. Thanks !

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
So my family has planned a vacation this summer in the boone/blowing rock / banner elk area in late July. Any recommendations on things for a family to check out that time of year? I know fishing will not be ideal in the heart of summer. my stepdad is a very proficient flyer fisherman and my brother isn’t half bad, they will want to give it a whirl. Any suggestions areas to fish would be great in PM. Hiking and tubing suggestions would be great as well. Thanks !
May not be prime but decent fishing can still be had in July. You looking at wild only or to keep few? If looking keep some and not just wild can look up dates for stock what week gonna be there?

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Either way just fishing at this point. Just opportunities near wear we are staying would be the goal. I think I saw a place near Linville (sp) stocks in July. I will have to look again. This all new to me.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
For the family I suggest you ride over to Lake Watauga and rent a pontoon or houseboat for the day. It's a beautiful lake with a couple of marinas with good facilities ju\st a short drive from Boone.
This is for tooling around not fishing. I have no clue how to catch them in those mtn lakes in July.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
For the family I suggest you ride over to Lake Watauga and rent a pontoon or houseboat for the day. It's a beautiful lake with a couple of marinas with good facilities ju\st a short drive from Boone.
This is for tooling around not fishing. I have no clue how to catch them in those mtn lakes in July.
That is a beautiful lake that is filled with spots and still has a lot of smallmouth in it and some BIG ones. If you go that route go as far up river as you can where there is flow and you will find some success. Beautiful lake just to see though as well as south holston.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
If you are looking for just scenery get on the parkway just below boone and take it towards Asheville. Prettiest drive in North Carolina and one of the best in the southeast. Will be lots of leaves on the trees being summertime but it’s still good. Stop at beacon heights, it’s a short hike but beautiful at the top. Rough ridge is one of the best hikes…..it’s a little rough but not far and beautiful at the top. Crabtree falls, linville gorge aren’t too far. Elk river falls is an easy one nearby. I’m not a trout guy so the others will have to chime in.

Wren87

Four Pointer
@SnowMaker and i live in this area... honestly some of our creeks stay cold even in the height of summer ;) higher elevation and lots of thick rhododendron. i'll see if i can get him to PM you about some lakes in the area too that are kid-friendly.

linville falls is easy hiking and great views-- usually crowded on weekends but not terrible mid-week. and linville caverns is fun (and nice and cool during the heat of the day!)

edge of the world in banner elk for tubing... also rock dimensions in boone for rock climbing.

and i second rough ridge for hiking/views, really anything on the parkway. they're doing some road construction this year so wear your patient hat but it really is worth it. have fun!

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you've never been and are looking for a short day hike & picnic, may I suggest visiting table rock. Weekdays are best and less crowded. The scenery is spectacular and one of my favorite places to climb, or just hang out and observe the beauty of creation - hence the screen name T-Rock...

It's kinda like a mini Yosemite of the East 😎 and it's not too far from Boone, ~20-30 minutes. The hike from the parking lot to the top is probably 20 minutes or so, or south to the Chimneys ~20 minutes.

If you're interested in a half day of family top roping (easy 5.3-5.5) give me a shout and a week or two heads up since I'll be off through the middle of July, as long as the Chimneys are clear..😁😎
Screenshot_20230526-221952_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20230526-221938_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20230526-222415_Gallery.jpg

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
If you are looking for just scenery get on the parkway just below boone and take it towards Asheville. Prettiest drive in North Carolina and one of the best in the southeast. Will be lots of leaves on the trees being summertime but it’s still good. Stop at beacon heights, it’s a short hike but beautiful at the top. Rough ridge is one of the best hikes…..it’s a little rough but not far and beautiful at the top. Crabtree falls, linville gorge aren’t too far. Elk river falls is an easy one nearby. I’m not a trout guy so the others will have to chime in.
Crabtree Falls (creek above the falls) is the ticket for catching little native trout on a 3 weight fly rod

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
@SnowMaker and i live in this area... honestly some of our creeks stay cold even in the height of summer ;) higher elevation and lots of thick rhododendron. i'll see if i can get him to PM you about some lakes in the area too that are kid-friendly.

linville falls is easy hiking and great views-- usually crowded on weekends but not terrible mid-week. and linville caverns is fun (and nice and cool during the heat of the day!)

edge of the world in banner elk for tubing... also rock dimensions in boone for rock climbing.

and i second rough ridge for hiking/views, really anything on the parkway. they're doing some road construction this year so wear your patient hat but it really is worth it. have fun!
Would we need waders during the last week of July?

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
One other hike that isn’t too far from boone is hawksbill…..hands down the prettiest hike and view of any mountain in the southeast. It isn’t a super long hike but it’s a little strenuous in places. I proposed to my wife there. It’s a panoramic view at the top. I suggest going in the evening and try to be up there closer to sunset. Spectacular view. Whenever you google it make sure it’s the hawksbill mountain in nc, not Virginia because there are 2 of them. Shortoff mountain is another good one in that area.

Wren87

Four Pointer
Would we need waders during the last week of July?
We usually wear Korkers wading boots with shorts, they're nice because can change soles out for hiking vs. wading. Haven't tried waders yet, most of the creeks we fish only get about thigh deep at most.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Leaving tomorrow after my daughters cheer fund raiser. How’s the fishing been? I can’t wait. A change of scenery will be nice.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
My dad was up there last week and slayed the trout. He said he quit counting after 30.

We are leaving after lunch today and heading that way as well. Camping with family at beech mtn and planning to fish this evening around there. Then saturday morning heading over to elk river and fishing it tomorrow. Goodluck and tight lines.