BOOM!

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I say UNC should have gone for 2 as well. You do have home field but you are playing the best team and I will take that loss any day as I like that call. Go for the win .

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
IMO the home field advantage is overblown...
Not on that day it wasn't. Did you see the game? Typically HFA is overblown as you say, but UNC had some magic that day at home. You can't exercise that magic on every play, but you can over a period of time, which is how they could have won the game. They had Clemson on their heels. You can't compare typical HFA with what was happening that day.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Not on that day it wasn't. Did you see the game?

The atmosphere was great no doubt, but the idea it was going to make difference in extra time after you've already played 60 minutes, are outgunned at every position and have no depth, is what's overblown. That was Mack's reasoning from the get go, he said the guys were simply wore out. That's nearly 50yrs of coaching making that decision.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The atmosphere was great no doubt, but the idea it was going to make difference in extra time after you've already played 60 minutes, are outgunned at every position and have no depth, is what's overblown. That was Mack's reasoning from the get go, he said the guys were simply wore out. That's nearly 50yrs of coaching making that decision.
I understand, and Mack did what coaches most often do in that situation. But by taking the standard/typical action he lost the advantage his team had the entire game. I wish I knew some terminology to use for their advantage that day other than "home field", which significantly understates what was really happening. Every game one team or the other technically has a home field advantage, that many times does not materialize. But it was real for UNC that day.

So when I use that term here it carries the connotation of an everygame circumstance that may or may not be helpful. UNC had Clemson on their heels, and their best chance of winning the game was not on a single roll out play against the best run defense in the nation, which only had a small part of the field to defend. Brown's call played right into the Clemson strength. Their better chance would have been in OT, and I think the outcome of the game verifies that. And this is not hindsight talking, myself and many others thought it in real time. As soon as that play started to develop, I knew the game was over.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
On clemson last year.
If you look the DE for clemson made a hellavu play faking inside causing howell to pull the ball. Played exactly the way Clemson wanted it. had howell not pulled the ball Unc likely wins.
I didnt understand that really well but had someone that knows explain in detail what occurred.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Watched last half NC game lot players out on each team made for big 12 type game but they got it done. Va tech really missed that corner that opted out their secondary is terrible

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
The Heels looked Solid. They should move up to at least #6 in the polls when they come out. I had tickets to the game but the wife didnt want to sit in the rain so I gave them a way. . Oh well. Glad they won and Va tech looks to be a good team as well.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Its kinda hard when you dont know who exactly will be on the field playing from week to week, but UNC, Bama, LSU and some other ranked teams better figure something out on the D side of the ball. Very hard to count on your offense to put up 50 every week when your defense gives up 45-50 points also.

Lots of high points scored, upset ball games yesterday.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Gonna put the Gators to bed again this year. Dan Mullen ain't gonna get the job done. He will, at best, be Florida's Mark Richt. Good enough to stay semi-competitive...not good enough to win any championships. I will be happy when Todd Grantham is shown the door.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
UNC better learn some Defense
Amen to that Clemson or Bama would put up close to triple digits on that D perfomance. Va tech is down this year scored that much with 15 players out. Will add though Bama has D issues of their own. Clemson looks pretty complete though that QB for Miami they shut completely down has some talent.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Gonna put the Gators to bed again this year. Dan Mullen ain't gonna get the job done. He will, at best, be Florida's Mark Richt. Good enough to stay semi-competitive...not good enough to win any championships. I will be happy when Todd Grantham is shown the door.
Which is kinda shame because he is in as good a situation as can get Fla st and Miami aren't taking up bunch that hot bed of talent in Fla Mullen should be loaded.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Clemson and bama had better watch out for the Heels!

lol

This is like a Guido going into a bar with a stuffed sock down his pants. Except in this instance......he's definitely going to have to undress in front of one of the ladies.........and be exposed.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
What a fine morning to read the local sports columns. #5 you say? Gonna be a good week watching DB melt down.

• Haha
Reactions: jug

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What a fine morning to read the local sports columns. #5 you say? Gonna be a good week watching DB melt down.

The real fun would be hooking everyone up to a lie detector and asking them if they really think UNC is one of the top 10 teams in the country.

Then ask the same question - substituting “20”.

I think you’d have to get to “30” or more to not receive a deceptive affirmative response. 😉

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Got him on ignore. Funny stuff when I post UNC stuff there is always an ignored post which I don't look at. Lol.....number 5 huh? This could be the heels year. Then a lot of people are going to melt down.

• Haha

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got him on ignore. Funny stuff when I post UNC stuff there is always an ignored post which I don't look at. Lol.....number 5 huh? This could be the heels year. Then a lot of people are going to melt down.

Lol

You couldn’t ignore me if your life depended on it.

I have a long-term lease on that space in your noggin 😉

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
The real fun would be hooking everyone up to a lie detector and asking them if they really think UNC is one of the top 10 teams in the country.

Then ask the same question - substituting “20”.

I think you’d have to get to “30” or more to not receive a deceptive affirmative response. 😉

Meltdown commence.

• Haha

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Meltdown commence.

I’m guessing the sweet spot, for you, would be in that “30” range (to be free deception-free)😉

You guys are opportunists, though. UNC would’ve probably taken the forfeit, the week after the Marshall plane went down.