Bolt action pistol?

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Those of you that have built one, did you buy a bare action and build it as a pistol? Reason I ask is that I want a 308 pistol. I had thought about an encore, but I kind of like the way the old Remington XP-100s looked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
I had Apache Machine rebuild my Xp into a 6mm Creedmore. Steve does a lot of 6.5CM's which I'd recommend over the 308, but I'd brake either one of those. I went 6mm because I didn't want a brake, it's a hunting pistol. Steve is the man when it comes to rebuilding XP's, give hima call, you'll be glad you did. IMG_2942.JPG

Last edited:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I picked up an XP last year in .223. That's as big as I want. It shoots sweet and will group under an inch at 100. Caution....... you will need muffs anytime you shoot one, especially in the larger calibers.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Is there any way to build a bolt action pistol from scratch? The XPs I have seen have been more then just a bare action would be. Could the bare action be built as a pistol legally?

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I'm no expert but wouldn't it just be classified as an SBR(short barreled rifle)?

I don’t know how it works with a bolt action pistol, but with encores the frame is designated as a pistol or rifle. I don’t know if it works like that with a bolt action or not.

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
I wanted a pistol to hunt mecklenburg county during gun season. So a legal pistol is required. Steve Roe told me that he could make the XP into a rifle by using a barrel over 16", but you can't put a shorter barrel on a rifle action and make it a pistol. Not legally. My pistol was built on my 1963 XP100 action, the rest of the gun can be thrown away. Steve adds a few nice features like a bolt release and custom pic rail that he's designed. He also builds custom brakes for the larger calibers. Mine is crazy accurate too, shoots better than many of my rifles. It will take about a year to build, depending on the stock you choose, mines a McMillan.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Don't forget the Savage Strikers. They are still around on the used market. Left bolt with a right side action port makes them handy for right handed shooters. Being it is a Savage that means easy at home barrel swaps. Savage take off barrels are cheap and can be cut to any length and threaded. They flat shoot well also.

<>< Fish

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I shot a XP100 in 308 bout 25 yrs ago at the Ramseur range and it was a handful and a half, not ported/ no brake.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
So if I buy a Remington 700 action that has no barrel or anything on it from brownells or one of the other myriad of places that sell them, can that be built into a handgun? It has never been a rifle or a handgun, but would be built as a handgun.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Tried to call him but I couldn’t find a good telephone number for him.

Lonehunter

Six Pointer
So if I buy a Remington 700 action that has no barrel or anything on it from brownells or one of the other myriad of places that sell them, can that be built into a handgun? It has never been a rifle or a handgun, but would be built as a handgun.

Yes, you would need a new action (no barrel)that has never been made into a rifle! I would also make sure your FFL lists it correctly as a action on the paper work. If he just assumes it will be for a rifle and incorrectly list it as such on the paper work, you would then have a rifle! Once a rifle always a rifle.

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
As stated ATF looks at as "Once a rifle, always a rifle". You would need a virgin receiver having never been built into a firearm. That's how AR15 shooters build their pistols. Use a stripped lower/frame. This has been settled law since ATF took TC to court over the Contender. So, don't just buy a used rifle action and assume since there is no rifle stock on it now.

CD

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
As stated ATF looks at as "Once a rifle, always a rifle". You would need a virgin receiver having never been built into a firearm. That's how AR15 shooters build their pistols. Use a stripped lower/frame. This has been settled law since ATF took TC to court over the Contender. So, don't just buy a used rifle action and assume since there is no rifle stock on it now.

CD

That is why I do not buy used contenders or encores. You (buyer) has no idea what the frame started life as. To many jack legs out there buy a contender or encore rifle and then buy a pistol barrel and the grips and convert it then sell it and the buyer had no idea he has broken the law.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Those 2 pictured above with the dog leg bolt handles are either Remington 600 or 660 actions...….the SWEETEST, LIGHTEST, actions AND most desirable for building custom guns. Id bout have 1 of them over a G33-40 or VZ24 Mauser or Husqvarna.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer

Remington Model 7's been used for many years, and being a short action is suited better.

If you buy an "action" there is no barrel...also called a "receiver".
A "barreled action" comes with a barrel already headspaced.