Boiled peanuts

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
i like them

Being a military transplant it was 1987 before I was introduced to boiled peanuts

a fellow I served with took me to the outer banks in Nov 87 for some surf fishing on a weekend we had off

stopped and picked some up at the old small store at McCain after he picked me up in his old beater toyota mini pickup

Unfortunately he and his entire SF team were killed in a helicopter crash 18 months later

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Sorry to hear about your friends but glad you at least acquired SOME southern culture. LOL
You mean like pickled shad? Yep, picKlee shad definitely a southern delicacy And cultured too.... ain’t that right @woodmoose?

Green peanuts for me was a right of passage coming to the hunting club for the first weekend of deer season down in Bertie county. Dad would always stop somewhere in edgecome, Martin or Bertie when they were turning peanuts and ask if we could pick up a trash bag or two vines and all. He would toss the guy a few bucks and I would get to pick and wash the peanuts when we got to the club and daddy would boil em up for The guys. Good memories and I still can eat a metric crap ton of them.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You mean like pickled shad? Yep, picKlee shad definitely a southern delicacy And cultured too.... ain’t that right @woodmoose?

Green peanuts for me was a right of passage coming to the hunting club for the first weekend of deer season down in Bertie county. Dad would always stop somewhere in edgecome, Martin or Bertie when they were turning peanuts and ask if we could pick up a trash bag or two vines and all. He would toss the guy a few bucks and I would get to pick and wash the peanuts when we got to the club and daddy would boil em up for The guys. Good memories and I still can eat a metric crap ton of them.
Nooooooooooo, I have no idea what third world country he ran across that culinary monstrosity at but I am pretty sure it was a long way from civilization. LOL

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
i like them

Being a military transplant it was 1987 before I was introduced to boiled peanuts

a fellow I served with took me to the outer banks in Nov 87 for some surf fishing on a weekend we had off

stopped and picked some up at the old small store at McCain after he picked me up in his old beater toyota mini pickup

Unfortunately he and his entire SF team were killed in a helicopter crash 18 months later

Well I will eat this bag in his honor today.
041a7398bd5c76bc8253fbb1c0abd239.jpg

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You guys that "poo poo" boiled peanuts DO realize peanuts are a PEA and not a NUT don't you? You fix peas by boiling them.

Back when I was in collage, I roomed with my cousin and 2 of his friends from Alamance Co. Now, mine and my cousins family hale from Columbus and Bladen Counties, and we all LOVE boiled peanuts...as well as dry roasted.
We'd buy those gallon cans of dry roasted peanuts, and the other 2 guys would devour them in no time flat. Seemed we were always grabbing for an empty can of peanuts.
Well, after an early fall family gathering in Bladen Co., my cousin and I came back with a batch of boiled peanuts. The other guys had never had them, and tentatively put one to his mouth. You should have seen the expression on his face as he withdrew it and shook his head, declaring it "nasty". My cousin and I just looked at each other, smiled and said, "More for us!"
I have a niece who will literally fight you for a batch of boiled peanuts.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I bought a large bag of green peanuts, probably over a 5 gallon bucket full, for a bit over 20 bucks last fall. Cooked me a batch earlier this week in my instapot. Salt, water and 42 minutes...perfect. They gone now! Got plenty more though.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
After a good cool down in the salty bath and then a good nights sleep in a refrigerated zip lock they got even better.

Crack em open and the brine pours out and I’m good with the saltiness...

Maybe next time some slap yo mama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never seen it but, has anyone done an Old Bay style peanut? Low country boil type peanut?

Ho ace

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I am hesitant on going the flavor route since I do large batches and would hate to mess up. I might try to pull a small batch off next time and flavor separately during the cool down since they do seem the soak up the brine during this part of the process.

I would probably do a more cayenne flavor myself.

Can't remember what I paid for em but they weren't cheap. Got refrigerated peanuts that I think came out of Georgia. They were green and take considerably less time to cook then the dry peanuts.

Turned out great and finished my last bag a month ago while catfishing on the Roanoke. Need to boil some...maybe this weekend if I can find the green ones from the farmers market.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Field right beside my house just got planted to peanuts! And the farmers brother goes to my church...and is my assigned deacon.:greenjump:

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I bought a large bag of green peanuts, probably over a 5 gallon bucket full, for a bit over 20 bucks last fall. Cooked me a batch earlier this week in my instapot. Salt, water and 42 minutes...perfect. They gone now! Got plenty more though.

Really...Instapot..salt got absorbed? Mouth watering and increasing blood pressure medications. lol

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep. You just have to add enough salt. Sometimes if you don't dump in enough salt, you can let 'em sit a while after they cook and the salt will absorb in.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Yep. You just have to add enough salt. Sometimes if you don't dump in enough salt, you can let 'em sit a while after they cook and the salt will absorb in.

I like mine very salty. One's that I buy already boiled get a good soaking in salty water. And as most boiled peanut connoisseurs know, freshly dug green peanuts are the best. Making mouth water. Neighbor has several fields planted about 1/4 mile from house. 🤤🤤