Bobcats in NC

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
I was wondering how common they are in Central NC. I have been trapping a few years, and have caught fox, coyote, opossums, coon, skunk, and some non targets. I have never saw what i thought was cat sign. Could it be they are there and i'm just not seeing the sign. I was granted permission to trap a new farm yesterday. I asked the owner if he had ever saw a bobcat, the answer was yes 1 time. Should i put in a few cat sets or find some sign first, or just make a cubby set and hope one strolls by?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

odie408

Ten Pointer
Not unusual to catch one in a coyote set. But might try a cubby set and hang a bird wing close to get his attention. He hunts more with his eyes.

rodman

Ten Pointer
Rode with the guy I buy from a few years back and that was what was in the first trap we checked.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've hunted Franklin and Granville since '92 and seen one bobcat in person. That was last year in Franklin. Had one on camera this year in the same spot. Different cat tho it was smaller.

Bean

Eight Pointer
I live in Chatham and get multiple pics every year. I’ve killed 5 total and won’t shoot them anymore. It may just be my area or the fact I spend a lot of time in the woods. They’re around though.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They are there, they are sneaky hunters and are rarely seen in the daytime, I spent a lot of time in the woods on the farm where I was raised from the age of 10 or so and never saw a bobcat. Started trapping and have caught cats on that farm.

Look for tracks with a main pad and 4 pinto bean shaped toes with no claw marks. I have found tracks on sand bars in creek beds and have caught them in creek beds. 2 tracks through thick cover is another good spot and if the area looks catty (thick cover for prey species), a good coyote set, especially a flashy dirt hole, will be attractive to them. They are more visual hunters than canines but they still have a pretty good nose.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you catch any beavers throw the carcasses where you can identify the tracks. They can not pass up a free meal of beaver. I have hunted here and trapped some along with having treedogs all my life. I have a friend that used to be a trapper for APHIS and we were talking about bobcats here and he said they are there. I said why haven I seen anymore of them than I have as much as I am in the woods day and night? He just laughed and said next time I have a beaver job up your way I will prove it to you. It was a few months later when he stopped by and asked if I wanted to see if there were any bobcats around. Of course I said yes.

He made me pay for it by helping him set traps and trudge through a bunch of crap but the next day he had some beavers that we placed and put a trail cam on. We let them stew 3 days and lets just say he made a believer out of me.

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
They are there, they are sneaky hunters and are rarely seen in the daytime, I spent a lot of time in the woods on the farm where I was raised from the age of 10 or so and never saw a bobcat. Started trapping and have caught cats on that farm.

Look for tracks with a main pad and 4 pinto bean shaped toes with no claw marks. I have found tracks on sand bars in creek beds and have caught them in creek beds. 2 tracks through thick cover is another good spot and if the area looks catty (thick cover for prey species), a good coyote set, especially a flashy dirt hole, will be attractive to them. They are more visual hunters than canines but they still have a pretty good nose.
Do they like mud, cause i have plenty of that, i hope this stops soon and i can get back to trapping. I can't get on the ground right now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

buckman84

Eight Pointer
Have one hanging on the wall I got back in 2012, 32lb. cat. I've called a couple in while turkey hunting on a tract of land I hunt in Anson county. They are around.

Prune

Four Pointer
Alot more cats around than folks know about.You'll do good catching them with flashy sets...christmas tinsel...old cd's...tin pie pans....feathers...think what your after sight hunters...

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 31

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I was always in disbelief until I started paying more attention on creeks and rivers that I water trap and fish. All the cat tracks I’ve seen here were down on river banks, some right on the waters edge. Not saying that’s exclusive, just my observation !

Prune

Four Pointer
Yes sir down by rivers creeks and beaver swamps. Cats use the beaver dams to cross alot.Have had plenty of beavers pulled outta the water in 330's and half eaten.These 2 cats were checking my traps for me for 3 days eating anything i caught in crossovers.Just took beaver they half ate made a corral cubbie..Caught male1 day female next.

Attachments

• March0808005.jpg
    March0808005.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 30
  • March0808007.jpg
    March0808007.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 30

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Yes sir down by rivers creeks and beaver swamps. Cats use the beaver dams to cross alot.Have had plenty of beavers pulled outta the water in 330's and half eaten.These 2 cats were checking my traps for me for 3 days eating anything i caught in crossovers.Just took beaver they half ate made a corral cubbie..Caught male1 day female next.
Awesome

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
They are all over central NC......you will not see many while in the woods. You have to look for their tracks . More around than most people think. There are more imho in eastern nc than central nc but Central has plenty. I have killed the most in Chatham and I have always had my best luck in and around cutovers. This biggest one I have ever seen was run over right in the the middle of RTP 2 years ago. he was a monster. ......have also seen one run over on Duraleigh rd in raleigh so they are there. I have had my best luck with a Lohman Rabbit distress call. Never trapped one but calling them used to be a passion
of mine. I will see if i can find the pic of the one in RTP . see that cut over behind me? those thick young pines is where I have seen the most sign. They hunt these cutovers for Cotton Rats and Wabbits. Bottom one was shot at 90 yards with a 22 mag.

chathambobcat.jpgchathambobcat12.jpg

Last edited: