Bob White

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Was helping a friend get his garden in yesterday when an old familiar sound pierced the still air; a male bobwhite! There were actually two males calling from different spots, and suddenly I was in my 30's again. It has been close to 40 years since I've heard or seen quail in Gaston County, a far stretch from when I used to have small coveys around the fringes of my yard.

Made my day!

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We had one come into our yard from the corn field late yesterday evening. We were in the house, and my Boykin heard the whistle and came to attention. We went outside and watched it walk into the yard.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
got one in the front yard right now - sitting in my office upstairs working and can hear him whistling in between blasts of thunder,,,,love hearing them
Curious, do you think its wild or an escapee from dog training?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Curious, do you think its wild or an escapee from dog training?

wild I am sure - have heard them since I moved here - usually have a covey or three around - no one releases quail in my area and I'm 8 miles from the gameland area that NAVHDA uses,,,

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Sitting on the water outside of Havelock right now, listening to a few on the Cherry Point side of the creek and a few on the Croatan side.

jgav

Four Pointer
We've spotted a small covey at our club down in SC in the Lancaster area. Haven't heard them yet. Is anyone up to speed on what projects Quail Forever are working on in the Carolinas?

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
We've spotted a small covey at our club down in SC in the Lancaster area. Haven't heard them yet. Is anyone up to speed on what projects Quail Forever are working on in the Carolinas?
On private lands or public lands?

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Quail forever has a biologist working out of a USDA office in the southeastern coastal plain.
NC Wildlife Resource Commission has technical assistance biologist which are available to advise landowners throughout the state free of charge.
There are several federal programs that will assist to offset the cost of habitat management on private lands.
The two big challenges on private lands are impacts on financial objectives of landowners and lack of prescribed burning capacity.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Fishing at Radio Island between Atlantic Beach and Bueafort this morning. Have some bobs whistling behind me, one ran in front of me while walking in

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I saw 2 female bobwhites on the side of the highway one morning last week. They were moving in and out of some tall grass onto the shoulder. First I've seen any wild bobwhite here in 8/9 years or so.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
there's a spot here that earl and I get into them every day if we want to,,,,I only go once in a while to keep pressure off but keep him tuned,,,