Boat trailer lights.

timber

Twelve Pointer
What brand lights will hold up on boat trailer. Just replaced one with a blazer submersible light. This past Monday went to the river fishing first time used the trailer since new light. Got home the turn signal part of the bulb was blown after one trip. Wasted some time checking wires thinking it wouldn’t been the bulb but it was. Don’t know how old the light on other side is but haven’t had any problems. I don’t mind paying the crazy prices they want now but I want the chit to atleast work a while.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Do yourself a favor and if you can mount them on your uprights do it.

Had thought about that. Have side bunk mounted on each side of boat at back on square tubung. Want sure if lisc plate would have to be moved also with the light. I think can buy or make a bracket for the lights but not sure if room enough for lisc plate.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Very first thing I do to a trailer is install LED's, quality LED's. I twist and solder and follow up with heat shrink tubing. THEN I use liquid tape on the ends of the tubing. END of issues.... Last thing I want is Smokey stopping me because of a tail light....

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Also soon as you get to the ramp unplug them, so they can cool down while you prep for the launch, and won't be lit (hot) when you back in.

BLOODBROTHER

Twelve Pointer
Also soon as you get to the ramp unplug them, so they can cool down while you prep for the launch, and won't be lit (hot) when you back in.
My new trailer has a 5 pin flat connector. the 5th pin is for the anti reverse. why this is a thing i have no idea but if mine is not plugged in, i cant back up. my last rig was a 4 pin and i would always unplug and had lights last for years

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Your trailer has brakes, hence the reverse wire. There should be an override so you can unplug it and still reverse.

timber

Twelve Pointer
The heat could be part of the problem. Used that right turn signal right before put boat in water and that was only part of bulb not working. Blown bulbs are part of it but don’t ever remember blowing one on brand new light.

BLOODBROTHER

Twelve Pointer
Your trailer has brakes, hence the reverse wire. There should be an override so you can unplug it and still reverse
lol. I know that. What i dont like it that the over ride is on the tongue of the trailer. I still think its stupid. My last trailer had brakes too but no anti reverse garbage. Its something that somebody deemed necessary so people would not get hurt or crash or some stupid other idea.

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Quality submersible led lights. Use marine adhesive lined butt connectors or solder and use adhesive lined shrink wrap. Run a dedicated ground back to the trailer plug for each light. Issues are almost always a ground issue. I like using the junction boxes with a gasket to join all of this before the trailer plug. Don't rely on the ground running through the trailer frame. I tow the vast majority of miles I drive from my work trailers to boat trailers. Once I started doing this I've had almost 0 problems

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
lol. I know that. What i dont like it that the over ride is on the tongue of the trailer. I still think its stupid. My last trailer had brakes too but no anti reverse garbage. Its something that somebody deemed necessary so people would not get hurt or crash or some stupid other idea.
Your 4 flat trailer had surge brakes and the 5 flat trailer has electrics which are much better and safer. IF it has LED's just leave them plugged in and they'll be fine. Most all of todays LED's are "potted" which means they are filled with a plastic material that prevents any and all diodes from getting wet at the connection. Once you connect to the wiring harness with waterproof connectors there is nothing to go wrong.
I just finished putting a boat and trailer together and I found LED trailer lights with BUILT IN back up lights which saved me a step in the install......

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
My road king trailer has surge brakes and the 5 flat connector to kick off the brakes for backing up. This is not a safety feature. It is there because when you're backing, you're applying pressure to the brake cylinder on the coupling thus causing braking to initiate. You can unplug the 5 flat and put a pin through the trailer tongue behind the coupling to prevent this.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
I go through trailer lights pretty often , the cheap no name Amazon ones last as long as the 80$ ones at west marine. Best thing I have figured out is buy 3 sets for the price of one at amazon. Keep them on hand and use as needed. They all crap out! At least at Amazon you can rerun them!