Boat trailer hubs

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Is there a rule of thumb or signs to look for when its time to replace hubs on a boat trailer? Boat and trailer are a 2012 (Carolina Skiff). Boat only had 90 hrs on it when i bought it last year and from what the previous owner told me it was only trailered to local lakes and the coast maybe 5 times while he had it. He also had bearing buddies installed to keep them greased. Ive greased them several times before trips to the coast and the pushed out grease is never brown or orangish. Ive jacked it up and spun the wheels and they spin free and quiet. There is some surface rust on the outside but nothing deep. Im about to trailer it to florida and although ill have tools and extra hubs with me im getting paranoid enough to where im thinking i might go ahead and replace both sides just in case.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Do it.
Pull them down and clean repack then you know they are done.
Easy to do. If you are short on time do one and do the other later.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Also what I have done for years is carry a temp gun. They are cheap now and you can always check the temp easy and fast on a hub, brake or tire. Get your base line after a few trips then you know if there is something up before it causes a problem.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
the more i think about it i think i will get them done. Its our first time pulling it to the keys and i ve spent so much time and money getting other things in order to go that it became an after thought, but now that we are two weeks out and my check list is smaller i really want to make sure this trip is as headache free as possible.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I couldn't start out on a trip that far without knowing. I would have to pull them down and inspect them.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd feel comfortable with them if maintenance has been done as you said. BUT, if you have another set, for your peace of mind, change them. Clean, check and repack your take offs to carry as spares.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I assume you are asking about the bearings, not the hubs. Bearings are easy, so yes, replace them for peace of mind and keep the old ones for emergency spares. As far as hubs, I've got hubs on a trailer that is over 50 years old and still just fine.

ducknut

Eight Pointer
I'd recommend taking a complete spare hub, or two for a trip that far. You can get them in a plastic container already greased. I'm a little paranoid but my trailer issues happen at the worst places. Much quicker and easier to put a new hub on than mess with bearings. Also a few rags and latex gloves and your good to go. Good luck

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Save yourself the time and mess. Go to TSC and grab 2 pre packed hub and bearing kits that fit your specs. Swap them out and go. Keep old ones for backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Don’t end up like this
524fc65f99c2b957c6d8ff18cea9f76b.jpg

5f92b07ed39be092573cf79a22890c10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I assume you know on how much to tighten / seat the bearings? I do the following after repacking the bearings:
  1. Tighten the nut until snug and the wheel will still turn, but will be kinda firm to turn.
  2. Back the nut off at least 1/2 to one full turn and spin the wheel again.
  3. Repeat steps 1 and 2, at least two more times.
  4. Tighten till snug, spin the wheel (firm to turn), and then back off the nut 1/8 to 1/4 as to the wheel will spin free and no play is found when tugging on the wheel.

Anybody have other ideas other than using feeler gauges? Most people do not have or know how to use feeler gauges on tapered bearings.

If you do not have a heat gun, you can check the temperature using the back of you finger (nail side). Do not touch a surface that maybe hot with the pad of your finger. Better to burn the back side, than the pad of your finger.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
I assume you know on how much to tighten / seat the bearings? I do the following after repacking the bearings:
  1. Tighten the nut until snug and the wheel will still turn, but will be kinda firm to turn.
  2. Back the nut off at least 1/2 to one full turn and spin the wheel again.
  3. Repeat steps 1 and 2, at least two more times.
  4. Tighten till snug, spin the wheel (firm to turn), and then back off the nut 1/8 to 1/4 as to the wheel will spin free and no play is found when tugging on the wheel.
Anybody have other ideas other than using feeler gauges? Most people do not have or know how to use feeler gauges on tapered bearings.

If you do not have a heat gun, you can check the temperature using the back of you finger (nail side). Do not touch a surface that maybe hot with the pad of your finger. Better to burn the back side, than the pad of your finger.

Good info there, the few times ive helped do it at work i noticed our mechanics would do this process and i feel comfortable in an emergency situation i could get it on correctly. A family friend has a trailer service/repair shop, im going to take it to him monday and let him check everything out and do any necessary service. I will still definately take extra assembled bearings and hubs with me on the trip. Thanks everyone for the advice.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I had the trip from hell taking my skiff down to the keys. Had a bearing mess up on the way down and had to get it fixed. Then I had a blowout. Then the fender welding popped and the fender blew out another tire. Then we got stuck behind a tractor trailer that was on fire in the middle of South Carolina.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
I had the trip from hell taking my skiff down to the keys. Had a bearing mess up on the way down and had to get it fixed. Then I had a blowout. Then the fender welding popped and the fender blew out another tire. Then we got stuck behind a tractor trailer that was on fire in the middle of South Carolina.

Man that sounds like a horrible trip. Well my tires are new, and my fenders were recently adjusted being they were too low (thus the new tires, but they had some age on them anyway). Every time we go i think if we can just get through SC unscathe and get around Miami without trouble we are good. Never fails SC is always doing road construction or theres some kind of highway emergency.