Boat lights

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Bought a jon boat, it has the red/green light and an LED bar on the front. The leads run to the back of the boat and I plan on finding a lawn & garden battery to connect to. Has anyone tried to install a switch on a boat to be able to flip the lights on and off instead of having to disconnect from the battery? If so what kind? Currently this is the extent of the wiring

Attachments

• 6F98EE53-4A16-422A-B3D4-7756B3BE39F2.jpeg
    6F98EE53-4A16-422A-B3D4-7756B3BE39F2.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 42

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That LED bar on the front will get you a citation in NC sooner than later in NC if you use it.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
You can add a switch but they never lasted in my old Jon boats.
What I ended up going with for lights, pumps and extras was to use a Sae 2 way flat plug.
The good thing is it is the same for solar plugs, battery tenders and many other items and accessories.
You can set up a plug that gives you 2 to 4 outlets. They make USB plugs for them to charge camera and phone. They work. The Battery tender plugs have built in fuse.

83fefeae-1ad4-4316-80cc-527405e5602f_1.b2f0da6b1319d50ae24636d0b4038170.jpegshopping.jpegshopping (2).jpegshopping (1).jpeg

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
That LED bar on the front will get you a citation in NC sooner than later in NC if you use it.
I keep hearing that so personally never added one. But I can not find any details on them.
Some of the new boats have them mounted factory. Been looking at adding a few LED lights. If you have a link or know where they cover this would.really like to read up before I do anything.
Thanks...

BTW at the Ice Bowl this year there were several that blinded many a boat lighting up the lake. It is like they were trying to blind everyone.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was in a boat two years ago and the guy was just going to get a warning for running his, he was mouthy from the start about being stopped for running it. I tried to tell him to just cool it but he isn't the type to let things go, he wound up with a live one for his troubles.

I actually have and have had different types of bright lights on the front of mine for years. One, I don't run mine continuously, and two, I am usually up the river where I seldom if ever come in contact with anyone else the time of night I am usually out. Out of all the years I have been running them I have actually been warned once and that was only verbally.

Ironically there is no law about displaying a handheld light, but there is about affixing one I don't remember the wording but it is something to do with it overpowering or impending the veiw of your navigational lights. It has been a long time and I think it was in the little boaters manual, I don't remember it ever being in the regs digest.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
It is a USCG rule that "other" lights can't interfere with the visibility of your navigation lights. The problem is most lightbars pretty much blind anyone looking towards them so they are interfering with the visibility of your nav lights. See part "b".

Rule 20
Application
(a) Rules in this part shall be complied with in all weathers.
(b) The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to
sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such
lights as cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not
impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a
proper look-out.
(c) The lights prescribed by these Rules shall, if carried, also be exhibited
from sunrise to sunset in restricted visibility and may be exhibited in all other
circumstances when it is deemed necessary.
(d) The Rules concerning shapes shall be complied with by day.
(e) The lights and shapes specified in these Rules shall comply with the
provisions of Annex I to these Regulations.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
I run a light bar for running the river at 3am. I don’t understand running one on a lake as it kills the view on larger water.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Thanks for the advice guys, I’m new to boats so I’m still learning a lot. Since this boat will mainly be for ducks I’ll be using it a lot in the dark, and some of the smaller creeks and swamps I’ll be in would be handy to have the lights on the front.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
My longtail kit came in today. Everything was going relatively smooth until I went to remove the factory PTO key from the key shaft and I guess it’s stuck in there. Anyone know how to get this out?

Attachments

• 441A1A24-18B5-4BC3-ABD4-8F1C4F619BB6.jpeg
    441A1A24-18B5-4BC3-ABD4-8F1C4F619BB6.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 19

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Grab it with a pair of diagonel cutter pliers and then lever them against the crank it will pry it right out. Or take a sharp chisel and smack it upward from the bottom of the groove on the outer end and it will dislodge it. You may have to dress it up with a fine file or emery cloth where you mark it but it won't hurt a thing. I'll give you a hint. Use never seize on that shaft and coupling when you put it together. If and when you ever separate it in the environment it will be in you will thank me.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If all else fails, use a brass drift (punch) and tap the key inwards. The key way has a slope that will push the key up and out.
Side cutters will usually grab the key to allow it to be pulled fro the groove. As said, may need a little clean up after, but simple.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
If all else fails, use a brass drift (punch) and tap the key inwards. The key way has a slope that will push the key up and out.
Side cutters will usually grab the key to allow it to be pulled fro the groove. As said, may need a little clean up after, but simple.
Those were my first attempts haha, what ended up working was pounding in a small flathead at the bottom of the key until there was a divot in the key, then driving in a center punch. Came right out.