Boat battery chargers

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
I can’t get my head wrapped around how to use a multi bank charger. I have 24v trolling motor and then boat runs off 12v. Is there a way to charge both at the same time without having to separate the trolling motor batteries every time or will i need to have to separate bank charges one for 12v and one for 24v?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spinnerbaitor48

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I use 2 bank charger for my 24v system...i do not charge my cranking battery with these because i run my electronics off of cranking battery....i just put a trickle charger on cranker every once in a while...no real reason, i just feel better. ..have heard some horror stories about chargers frying electronics...dont know anyone first hand that it has happened to though

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I use multi bank charger. I do turn the master switch off and disconnect the trolling motor before charging. Quality boat chargers these days are designed not to cook your batteries. Just buy a decent three bank charger and you will be all set.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I use the battery tender 900ma or 5 a.
The batteries have a plug on them and just plug them up.
Easy, cheap, works, plus the chargers can be use on the trucks, ATV or anything.
Not a fan of the hard mounted in the boat chargers.
Also, not a bass fisher for say. Catch some for bait but not spending all day running the batteries down like they do.
I can fish all weekend for the most part before I need a charge.

spinnerbaitor48

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I use multi bank charger. I do turn the master switch off and disconnect the trolling motor before charging. Quality boat chargers these days are designed not to cook your batteries. Just buy a decent three bank charger and you will be all set.
Yep! forgot to mention the master switch......a must have

sll

Four Pointer
Get you a 3-Bank charger and you will have one bank connected to each battery. You can get by with just a 2-bank charger and hook to your trolling motors only since the alternator on your engine will charge the cranking battery. But if you run a lot of electrics or do a lot of night fishing I would get the 3-bank.

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I have 4 batteries in my boat. Used to have the "On-board" chargers = Hell of a lot of weight. I mounted my chargers on my shed wall and used a 9 pin trailer connector to connect the chargers to the batteries. That took about 50 lbs out f the back end of the boat.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
so main reason im looking at a bank charger that keeps batteries charged and topped off is my boat sits in an unisulated shed. sometimes i dont get to take my boat out for a while and the cold will kill the batteries between trips.