Bluebirds are wimps

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Momma Bluebird has laid 6 eggs & then 2 eggs only to have their 2 nesting & egg laying attempts destroyed by English Sparrows.

Attachments

• Pic_2022-06-26_13:48:57.jpg
    Pic_2022-06-26_13:48:57.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 45

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
I had six bluebirds in a box that was killed by English sparrows, and I got them out of the next and left the nest in tact....now have six new eggs in this box. I plug up boxes with a rock when sparrows hanging around said box, trying to build a next. When you think they have moved on, take rock out of hole, and , sure enough, they show up again. They very persistent at times.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
They stick their head inside the hole and peck the eyes out of the bluebirds.....mine are 1.5" and do not have to get in the box to kill them.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Someone in the neighborhood is raising the sparrows, probably the same way my neighbor is.

I have about an acre of yard, mostly grass, and it's ideal for a bluebird feeding area. My neighbor has a smaller pie shaped lot (cul-de-sac) and is so desperate to get bluebirds in his yard that he has placed at least eight (8) boxes in his yard as well as some more in neighbors' yards but all he manages to attract is English sparrows so he keeps four feeders going and has become the neighborhood sparrow hatcher; consequently the sparrows are constantly trying to take over the bluebird nest. I'm now convinced he persists just to piss me off, so I told him he could raise all of them he wanted to and I'd kill every one I can. It doesn't help that the dumbazz is my BIL.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I used to volunteer with Frank Newell at the Eastern Bluebird Rescue Group in Warrenton. Sparrows are the #1 enemy of bluebirds. Bluebird houses need to be placed at least 100 ft. apart, since bluebirds are territorial to other bluebirds. I try to check my boxes regularly and dump out any sparrow nests I see getting started...even if there are eggs in them.
By the way, the SECU's have started selling the bluebird boxes again. They just ordered 8,000 more from the EBRG. We are not sure if they will continue to sell them after those are gone, so get 'em while you can and if you get a chance, pass a word to the SECU managers that you want them to continue the program.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
you gotta be sure to make the birdhouse entry hole exactly 1.5"

...and shoot the sparrows.
That box is 40+ years, forgot what type wood, & is built to specs w/ a 1 1/2" ent. hole. Unfortunately, I live in a Chlt. Meck. subd. & no weapon of any type is allowed to be discharged in city limitsšŸ‘Ž & some of my neighbors would not know the difference between a BB gun & a bazooka.šŸ˜ 

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
That box is 40+ years, forgot what type wood, & is built to specs w/ a 1 1/2" ent. hole. Unfortunately, I live in a Chlt. Meck. subd. & no weapon of any type is allowed to be discharged in city limitsšŸ‘Ž & some of my neighbors would not know the difference between a BB gun & a bazooka.šŸ˜ 

my BB gun muzzle occasionally peaks out a window or door. LOL

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I used to volunteer with Frank Newell at the Eastern Bluebird Rescue Group in Warrenton. Sparrows are the #1 enemy of bluebirds. Bluebird houses need to be placed at least 100 ft. apart, since bluebirds are territorial to other bluebirds. I try to check my boxes regularly and dump out any sparrow nests I see getting started...even if there are eggs in them.
By the way, the SECU's have started selling the bluebird boxes again. They just ordered 8,000 more from the EBRG. We are not sure if they will continue to sell them after those are gone, so get 'em while you can and if you get a chance, pass a word to the SECU managers that you want them to continue the program.

I have built a Brazilian bluebird boxes out of cedar fence pickets with kids. Itā€™s a great project to teach them to use all the basic woodworking tools and how to support wildlife.

hereā€™s an example plan.

88f807d68f3b80befbe53b7f9fb6bd84.gif

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Someone in the neighborhood is raising the sparrows, probably the same way my neighbor is.

I have about an acre of yard, mostly grass, and it's ideal for a bluebird feeding area. My neighbor has a smaller pie shaped lot (cul-de-sac) and is so desperate to get bluebirds in his yard that he has placed at least eight (8) boxes in his yard as well as some more in neighbors' yards but all he manages to attract is English sparrows so he keeps four feeders going and has become the neighborhood sparrow hatcher; consequently the sparrows are constantly trying to take over the bluebird nest. I'm now convinced he persists just to piss me off, so I told him he could raise all of them he wanted to and I'd kill every one I can. It doesn't help that the dumbazz is my BIL.
I feed birds also, but try to use seed that English Sparrows are not crazy about...meal worms for the Bluebirds & Wrens, sunflower & safflower seed for Cardinals, Chickadees, Finches, etc., suet for Woodpeckers, Thrashers, Nuthatches etc., Nyger for Goldfinches. I don't have a huge abundance of English Sparrows, but still get some of those non-native invaders, kind of like the invaders from EVERYWHERE flocking into Chlt. now. I know, I need to move!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My bluebird houses are all strategically placed so I have a clear shot to them and there is a rimfire sighted in to minute of sparrows head setting in the corner. An English sparrow doesn't make it long around here.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Lowes has cedar bluebird houses for $12.98,,,,picked up a few yesterday. Very well made and great price. Google hgcedar.com and can see picture of the box. I picked up a 4 foot piece of 1" wide sheet metal aluminum and made a bracket to attach to a pole for my boxes. Already got bluebirds checking them out.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
[QUOTE="nccatfisher, post: 1166750, member: 176". An English sparrow doesn't make it long around here.
[/QUOTE]

Aguila 38 grain hollow point subsonics will make English sparrows do some pretty neat ā€œturn inside outā€ tricksā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦..