Blue runners/hardtails?

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Yea they always work for any small fish. I don't know anyone who catches them for sport, just for bait.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
We have been catching sone HUGE blue runners bottom fishing lately. Between them and the dern almaco jacks its almost impossible ton keep a bait on the bottom long enough for the grouper to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
We have been catching sone HUGE blue runners bottom fishing lately. Between them and the dern almaco jacks its almost impossible ton keep a bait on the bottom long enough for the grouper to find it.

How many almaco jacks are you catching?

They are supposed to be a rare catch of NC, no?

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
How many almaco jacks are you catching?

They are supposed to be a rare catch of NC, no?

No not rare at all....I'll bet I have caught 25 or 30 already this year.....they are pests bottom fishing for grouper

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No not rare at all....I'll bet I have caught 25 or 30 already this year.....they are pests bottom fishing for grouper

They are a PITA where ever they are unless you are planning on using them for bait. I have caught them here to Fla around to La, that was usually the general consensus.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You should see them and the amberjacks diving. It's like getting followed by hungry stray dogs.
I never have had the pleasure of diving, only have seen it from pics. I can only imagine how much fun it would be to get to see a whole 'nuter world down there.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
We pulled up on a wreck last month and chummed the AJs up to the surface and had then hitting top water plugs....it was a trip to see

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
We pulled up on a wreck last month and chummed the AJs up to the surface and had then hitting top water plugs....it was a trip to see

That would have been some great fishing.

How far out are you for the greater ajs?

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Anywhere from 80 feet of water to 350 ft. We are running about 15 or 20 miles to fish the wrecks we fish

Jhall

Button Buck
Would anyone be willing to guide me in the right direction to find some hard tails? I’d like to go catch some to use as bait.
Thanks
Jeff

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Drop a sabiki on the sea bouy or any wreck bouy. If that doesn’t work find some nearshore structure and jig the sabiki about half way to the bottom.