Blue Jays unusual encounter

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
This morning while turkey hunting I had a flock of blue Jays stop by. I have never seen this before must of been a hundred of them. They were just like other flocks of birds going through the woods flying to tree limbs landing and shortly after moving on. I've seen flocks of Robins black birds starlings etc but never a large group of blue jays. Now if I could only find a flock of turkeys I'd be all set.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Every morning we feed the squirrels, rabbits and birds a mixture of corn and peanuts out back ( as well as all kinds of other stuff in front and in feeders out back) and we have a large flock of blue jays that show up every morning and help clean up the seed. They are great at keeping hawks and snakes out of your trees in the area and will let you know when something shows up that they don't like.
In that group there's about 15-20 birds typically, I've never seen a group like you describe..or anywhere near that number together at once. I didn't know that they migrated, as we have them all year long.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
the wonders we get to see can be amazing. we should count our blessings.

i will bet Moose that you are in a good spot for turkeys if you are seeing stuff like that.

my best deer spot for years was an edge that attracted all sorts of wildlife. startling variety of birds sometimes.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yup it was a huge flock of them and they were pretty loud. I guess they do migrate I just never realized cause in Maine we often had them throughout the winter on our feeder. They weren't lucky cause I didn't see any turkeys.

Earsom

Button Buck
The easiest way to attract blue jays is to use a feeder with enough room for them to rest and peck at peanuts. The usual hanging feeders are not well designed, causing the blue jay to shut up and run away. So, after finding some blue jay feeders, I decided to choose Twinkle Star. It's pretty, with a capacity of up to 2.15 lbs. The 7.9-inch tray at the bottom is also a big plus. It allows birds that love to peck peanuts through feeding ports with little waste.

Last edited: