Black squirrel

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Saw first solid black gray squirrel I have ever seen around here this morning. Have seen couple white or part white ones but never solid black one.
if it is in NC is is probably a fox squirrel. what county? you dont really see any black grey squirrel until you get up to DC.

Reactions: CRC

timber

Twelve Pointer
This one was about 7 miles east of Gaston close to Va line. Never seen a fox squirrel around here. Closes I have seen them is around Bethel and Greenville. But went for years and we didn’t have any coyotes or bears now we have both. But about positive this wasn’t a fox squirrel. Was out in a field so had a good look.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
This one was about 7 miles east of Gaston close to Va line. Never seen a fox squirrel around here. Closes I have seen them is around Bethel and Greenville. But went for years and we didn’t have any coyotes or bears now we have both. But about positive this wasn’t a fox squirrel. Was out in a field so had a good look.
Probably fox squirrel...my brother in law has fox squirrels on his farm near emporia and the fox squirrel that lives in eastern NC ranges up to Prince George co in Virginia. Several counties in Se Virginia have fox squirrels

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The black squirrels in DC were released by Teddy Roosevelt and the ones in Ohio were released in the 1960s from Canada.

Yes I looked that up.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Probably fox squirrel...my brother in law has fox squirrels on his farm near emporia and the fox squirrel that lives in eastern NC ranges up to Prince George co in Virginia. Several counties in Se Virginia have fox squirrels

You probably now a little of the area then. Was coming back from Emporia where the squirrel was between low ground road and Big Johns store

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
You probably now a little of the area then. Was coming back from Emporia where the squirrel was between low ground road and Big Johns store
yep, been in that area alot. My BIL's farm is near skippers. he has seen several in that area. NC has 2 subspecies and Virginia actually has 4 subspecies. The one in east NC makes it up into SE virginia into a few counties.

Virginia wants anyone to have seen one In SE Va to report it

Last edited:
Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
If you want to shoot one go to the Allegheny National Forest.

They are there.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I 100% saw a solid black grey squirrel in Alamance county.
Possible but very rare. They are a few black fox squirrels in alamance co. 2 areas 1 north and 1 south. I am from Alamance ..
A black grey squirrel in the south is more rare than an albino. Possible but rare.
Prettiest grey squirrel I ever saw was in Johnston. Grey body with red and I mean a red tail.

Gasman

Twelve Pointer
There are black squirrels in Alamance County in the Belmont community headed towards the EM Holt Fire Department from Hwy 49. I do not know how many but I have seen them there.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
There are black squirrels in Alamance County in the Belmont community headed towards the EM Holt Fire Department from Hwy 49. I do not know how many but I have seen them there.
Fox squirrels...that is one area of alamance that has them. There to bass mtn.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Possible but very rare. They are a few black fox squirrels in alamance co. 2 areas 1 north and 1 south. I am from Alamance ..
A black grey squirrel in the south is more rare than an albino. Possible but rare.
Prettiest grey squirrel I ever saw was in Johnston. Grey body with red and I mean a red tail.
I didn’t say it wasn’t rare. But most definitely NOT a fox squirrel. It was 100% grey squirrel, but solid black. I got a great look at him, hanging off the side of moms bird feeder in Graham. Sadly, he was found dead not long after that🤷‍♂️

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I didn’t say it wasn’t rare. But most definitely NOT a fox squirrel. It was 100% grey squirrel, but solid black. I got a great look at him, hanging off the side of moms bird feeder in Graham. Sadly, he was found dead not long after that🤷‍♂️
understood. I also never said it wasnt possible. It happens. nature is weird. But black grey squirrels in the south are very very rare.

There are Black grey squirrels On Elliott Key in the Keys of florida but they are Mexican gray squrirrels that were released there ~100 years ago or so.

Other than that if you want to see a black grey squirrel you need to go up north or find the needle in the haystack. you found the needle. Wish I had seen it.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
This is a really crummy picture, but it was all I could get today. This is one of a half dozen that live in the neighborhood here in Stokesdale. There used to be only one around. Now there's a few.

Attachments

• 1406.jpeg
    1406.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 43

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
This is a really crummy picture, but it was all I could get today. This is one of a half dozen that live in the neighborhood here in Stokesdale. There used to be only one around. Now there's a few.
thats cool. since it went from 1 to 6 mybe there will be more in the future.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
really nice video. that really is a rare sight in the south. you need to protect them as much as you can. but if I lived there I may have to get one for the wall. LOL

Thanks. They stay in an area that's just a couple of acres. You're way more likely to see them at my neighbor's house across the street. They don't co-mingle with the regular gray squirrels either.
Joe

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I 100% saw a solid black grey squirrel in Alamance county.
ditto in Chatham on a watershed where i have killed a zillion grey squirrels. No fox squirrels ever seen or heard of.
It was last spring. I have been questioned by so many people on it that I dont mention it any more. Til Now LOL.
People just have a hard time getting past their own observations and biases.