Black Nose Crappie

BLOODBROTHER

Twelve Pointer
Huh..... is this a “one off” catch? Or are you seeing several with identical markings? Interesting for sure, thanks for sharing.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I have seen em before from a pond.

Tennessee has given some to NC stocked into Lake Hickory

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Tennessee has given some to NC stocked into Lake Hickory

Not sure how old this is, but according to this, the WRC has never stocked black nose crappie.

Black nose crappie exhibit a recessive hereditary trait that gives them a thick black line from the dorsal fin down the nose. This one had a black line for about 1.5" under it's chin too. It looks like someone took a wide sharpie and marked it up. It seems to be more common further south, and was first documented in Arkansas. I've never seen them around here before.

725043D4-AF49-40E9-8624-9DA629B20DBF.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
From what I was told Tennessee trades crappie to NC for muskellunge and they include black crappie and/or blacknose crappie, whatever Tennessee sends them.

They are stocked only into Lake Hickory apparently.

I looked and Tennessee does indeed raise and stock blacknose crappie so I guess its possible some of the crappie they send here are blacknose.

Last edited:

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve never even heard of one but I do catch largemouth in clear water lakes with black spots at times. Interesting that this is an actual strain of crappie. I thought there were only 2 types

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve never even heard of one but I do catch largemouth in clear water lakes with black spots at times. Interesting that this is an actual strain of crappie. I thought there were only 2 types

Its just a form of black crappie with a black stripe down the nose/front.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
They're in Holt Lake near Butner. I've caught dozens of 'em. My biggest was 15 inches long and a bit over a pound.

Jim