Black Beretta A391 Xtrema 2 worth?

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Been a waterfowl gun for the last 5 years. Hasn't been used as a paddle but has been in a creek boat many times as well as in the swamp and muddy ditch duck/swan hunting. Has also been used for 5 stand clays. Doesn't cycle under 1250fps though. Does not have kick-off. Has factory blue plastic case and all original stuff. Wondering what I could get for it? Might be good for 3 gun with an extension tube added.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Been a waterfowl gun for the last 5 years. Hasn't been used as a paddle but has been in a creek boat many times as well as in the swamp and muddy ditch duck/swan hunting. Has also been used for 5 stand clays. Doesn't cycle under 1250fps though. Does not have kick-off. Has factory blue plastic case and all original stuff. Wondering what I could get for it? Might be good for 3 gun with an extension tube added.

Depending on condition I would say $600-$800
If not cycling low speeds it probably wasn’t broke in to spec. I have shot Berettas for 15 years and never had an issue. That said it’s not a hard fix. I may be interested in it.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
We did clean the cosmoline like stuff and duck/swan hunted with it using 3-3.5 loads. It wasn't 200-300 rounds of 3-3.5 loads though. When we discovered that it wouldn't cycle 2 3/4 lower than 1250fps we switched to heavy 2 3/4 field loads (1290-1350fps) and have only shot heavy field loads since for dove and 5stand (because it wouldn't cycle light loads). Son has shot about 800-900 rounds of heavy field (2 3/4) in it shooting 5 stand and dove. When I say it won't cycle I mean it will shoot the first but sometimes will not fully eject the first when shooting 1100-1200 fps rounds. I just figured it was a giant 3.5" receiver gun so it's just not going to cycle everything. It does fine with everything 1250fps and higher.
EDIT: We haven't shot light loads in 3-4 years so it might actually cycle them now if it is broken in but we haven't tried them.

Last edited:

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
We did clean the cosmoline like stuff and duck/swan hunted with it using 3-3.5 loads. It wasn't 200-300 rounds of 3-3.5 loads though. When we discovered that it wouldn't cycle 2 3/4 lower than 1250fps we switched to heavy 2 3/4 field loads (1290-1350fps) and have only shot heavy field loads since for dove and 5stand (because it wouldn't cycle light loads). Son has shot about 800-900 rounds of heavy field (2 3/4) in it shooting 5 stand and dove. When I say it won't cycle I mean it will shoot the first but sometimes will not fully eject the first when shooting 1100-1200 fps rounds. I just figured it was a giant 3.5" receiver gun so it's just not going to cycle everything. It does fine with everything 1250fps and higher.
EDIT: We haven't shot light loads in 3-4 years so it might actually cycle them now if it is broken in but we haven't tried them.

Even if it doesn’t you can install a sure cycle on it and problem solved

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
The Xtrema doesn’t have an action spring in the stock like other 390-391s do. That seems like a glorified stock bolt. What do you think it would do for the Xtrema?

Last edited:

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
The factory systems from my understanding is aluminum and from hunting conditions can get gummed up and from the reduced recoil from the lighter rounds can’t cycle the bolt fully to eject and reload. The sure cycle system is supposed to function with less force to accommodate lighter loads. I have one in my 391 and have never had a FTF/FTE. In well over 10k rounds.
Note mine isn’t an Extrema though.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
The 391 Xtrema 2 is a different gun than the 391 Urika. The recoil/action spring is on the mag tube not in the stock like on the 390/391. Here is a pic of the differences in a 390 and 391. The Sure Cycle for an Xtrema appears to be just a glorified stock bolt. We will test the gun with 1100-1200fps shells before we sell it to see if it will cycle after having heavy loads shot from it so much.
IMG_6971.JPGIMG_6972.JPG

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
The 391 Xtrema 2 is a different gun than the 391 Urika. The recoil/action spring is on the mag tube not in the stock like on the 390/391. Here is a pic of the differences in a 390 and 391. The Sure Cycle for an Xtrema appears to be just a glorified stock bolt. We will test the gun with 1100-1200fps shells before we sell it to see if it will cycle after having heavy loads shot from it so much.
View attachment 38767View attachment 38768

Gotcha I didn’t realize the difference.