bird down

gamehunter

Old Mossy Horns
Story later

So opening day actually started for me at 5pm after work on Friday.... I rush home to Caswell to help my 11yr old cousin do some more shooting and patterning my great grandfather's Stevens single shot 20ga. So after we put the last finishing touches on the gun; I decided to head to the farm and do a little scouting. I pulled up and grab the binos, didn't take long, spotted a strutter with a couple hens.... the tom strutted out of view towards his roost so I knew where he was located. there was a lone turkey 50yds away from that group I figured it was hen/jake.

the next day came early for us we arrived at the farm about 5am. I put him in a ground blind just to avoid any movement problems. 10 mins after lst we hear the bird that I roosted the night before. he gobble one more time before he flew down but he was 75yds away with hens(we cant see them though) we were on a ridge in a cow pasture. well I look out the right side of the blind ,thru a slit, and there's a silent gobbler coming in and closing the distance fast. I get my little cousin ready and he let the 20ga 3" hevi metal #4 eat. The turkey drop straight to the ground. The bird was 20lbs, 9"birdw/rot, and 1.25"spur on both sides.

Side note- I believe the lone bird I couldn't identify the day before was this tom and he had been whooped by the strutter who had hens and roosted on the opposite side of the property. This bird came in was going towards the strutter's roost area maybe to fight again and or steal some hens.

Attachments

• IMG_20140405_065643_359.jpg
    IMG_20140405_065643_359.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Dang you have had over 12 hours to post the story.. wasup wit that? Quick hunt and congrats!