Binoculars and Rangefinder

rageslinger

Four Pointer
Looking to upgrade this year. Looking to see what some of you guys reccomend.

Binoculars 10x42 maybe 10x50. Something light. Have looked thru few set of vortex and leupold but not sold..

Range finder - my old one really struggled to pick up in any kind little weed was in front of deer. Extremely aggravating. Want something clear and accurate.

Bean

Eight Pointer
I like vortex for the price I caught a pair of 10x42 on sale at midway and have been very happy with them

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Nikon all the way… they stopped making binoculars BUT you can still pick them up now at discounted prices

nothing wrong with Vortex either

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Everything I currently own optics wise is Leupold.

Binocular wise, I have the BX-5 Santiam HD 10x42 Got them on sale for $750 last fall

I have the RX-2800 TBR/W for a rangefinder. Picked it up for $350 a few months ago.

No complaints with either and would certainly recommend them.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
They are costly but I have a pair of 8 X 30 Swarovski's that I bought in 1985 for my first hunting trip out west. I've sent them back for glass rebuild three times at no cost, Swarovski will do that. Three or four years ago I bought another pair of Swarovski 10 X 42 planning on that being my last pair if they last as long as the first ones. I use the smaller ones for woods hunting and the 10 X 42 hunting out west or here hunting cutovers.

They are truly an investment.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Looking to upgrade this year. Looking to see what some of you guys reccomend.

Binoculars 10x42 maybe 10x50. Something light. Have looked thru few set of vortex and leupold but not sold..

Range finder - my old one really struggled to pick up in any kind little weed was in front of deer. Extremely aggravating. Want something clear and accurate.
The SIG rangefinders are awesome for the price point. I love mine.

I like my vortex binos but I love my Athlons.

BiggestSpikeYouEverSeen

Ten Pointer
Contributor
You'll get 100 opinions and they're not all wrong :bass:....

It comes down to your budget....

I have tried lots of products/brands over the last decade and have come out with mixed reviews.

Binocs...If you're going to spend $475-$1K, look at Vortex (Viper/Razor)....For the money these seem to provide a meaningful value to me. If you're looking to spend less than that, I think Leupold has some great options that may be the best bang for the buck.

Range Finders...similar story here....I seem to land on Leupold time and time again when put to the test side x side with other leading brands.

Congrats on the pending upgrades!

tbear2

Spike
For the woods & fields of NC a 7 or 8 power is much better. Lighter & easier to hold. It's very difficult to hold a 10 power binocular steady for a length of time. A 10 power is great for some areas of the West hunting antelope, sheep, elk, etc. I would suggest calling Doug at Camerland for input. Camerland is one of the largest sellers of optics & can recommend binoculars to fit your budget as well as rangfinders
Great prices & excellent service. Bought many optics from them.
I prefer a fixed 6X German binocular (no longer made)
Great for woods hunting. Adjust once for expected distance & then glass without any additional adjustments. Very fast, but not for every hunter. Good luck.
tbear

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I agree on the Cameraland recommendation.
I will throw my opnion on binos out there, and IMO, for the money its very hard to beat a pair of Nikon Monarchs.

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just picked up a leupold bx4 10-42 binoculars. Very clear but I have nothing to compare them to other than a 50 year old set of binos.

Stilhuntin

Four Pointer
For the woods & fields of NC a 7 or 8 power is much better. Lighter & easier to hold. It's very difficult to hold a 10 power binocular steady for a length of time. A 10 power is great for some areas of the West hunting antelope, sheep, elk, etc. I would suggest calling Doug at Camerland for input. Camerland is one of the largest sellers of optics & can recommend binoculars to fit your budget as well as rangfinders
Great prices & excellent service. Bought many optics from them.
I prefer a fixed 6X German binocular (no longer made)
Great for woods hunting. Adjust once for expected distance & then glass without any additional adjustments. Very fast, but not for every hunter. Good luck.
tbear
I would definitely reach out to Cameralandny.com before making an optics purchase.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
If money is no object Swarovski all day long on Binos. Scopes too, best glass I’ve owned. I bought a pair of vortex razors 10x42s last year and have been very pleased with them, very good glass. With discounts I think I payed around $750.

For range finder I have a sig and it’s very small and light. Have been pleased with it so far.