Bill would outlaw offshore oil drilling in NC

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
I am all for offshore drilling as long as it brings income to Eastern North Carolina. There is no reason for us to take the risk unless they utilize our ports for the refineries! We need those high paying jobs. Hopefully our government officials will negotiate this to our advantage and make sure these jobs go to people who live in our state. We do not have a huge work force in Eastern NC but I know several people would love the opportunity to make $120 to $150K a year working two weeks on and two off being a Rough Neck.

Do you know who owns a good amount of the privately held marsh land around East Lake and Alligator River in Dare County?

Exon owns thousands of acres in that area because they believe it holds Natural Gas.

Last edited:

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Or we could put in an off shore wind farm. No environmental disaster waiting to happen and also provides structure for fish. Best of both worlds.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
I am all for it as long as it brings income to Eastern North Carolina. There is no reason for us to take the risk unless they utilize our ports for the refineries! We need those high paying jobs. Hopefully our government officials will negotiate this to our advantage and make sure these jobs go to people who live in our state. We do not have a huge work force in Eastern NC but I know several people would love the opportunity to make $120 to $150K a year working two weeks on and two off being a Rough Neck.

Do you know who owns a good amount of the privately held marsh land around East Lake and Alligator River in Dare County?

Exon owns thousands of acres in that area because they believe it holds Natural Gas.

I believe PCS phosphate somehow owns the rights to the river bottom on a decent part of the Pamlico if im not mistaken. Though i dont know if they would actually be able to do anything with it. legally speaking.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer

Care to elaborate?

USFWS owns the Dare County side of Alligator River and pretty much all the shorline/marsh from there back around to Manns Harbor, Stumpy Point and down to Long Shoal River.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
In the event that they do start drilling for oil out there, will they have platforms like in the Gulf, which is relatively shallow, or will they be using anchored floating rigs in deep water? The reason I ask is that a floating rig is basically a big anchored boat and not a permanent fixed platform which provides a lot of structure.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Exon owns the mining rights. I know they own full mining rights to Durant Island as well as other private properties.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Or we could put in an off shore wind farm. No environmental disaster waiting to happen and also provides structure for fish. Best of both worlds.
Off shore windmills pose a significant threat to various threatend gulls and other sea birds.They also create vibrations that disrupt and confuse various sea mamals.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Off shore windmills pose a significant threat to various threatend gulls and other sea birds.They also create vibrations that disrupt and confuse various sea mamals.

Lol. Not as big a threat as they would have you believe. The noise from constructing them does cause sea mamals to leave the area. Though they return once the construction process is done and do just fine. They are also not a significant threat to birds. Studies have shown that the birds avoid the turbines and adjust accordingly. Yes some do die but comparing environmental impact of wind farms to fossil fuels is ridiculous. Though I'm glad everyone cares about the birds and whales all.of a sudden. It's funny to hear that argument as it somehow makes it seem oil rigs are a better idea. It's a bunch of fake news put out there by the fossil fuel industry.

Oh, and they don't cause cancer.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns

That's a disaster in itself. My understanding NC may have natural gas off our coast, not crude oil. I support exploration off our coast for fossil fuels. Wind farms have to be huge to make significant contribution. I'm also sure some components, used in wind powered generators, have to labeled as carcinogenics in California.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
That's a disaster in itself. My understanding NC may have natural gas off our coast, not crude oil. I support exploration off our coast for fossil fuels. Wind farms have to be huge to make significant contribution. I'm also sure some components, used in wind powered generators, have to labeled as carcinogenics in California.

So your argument is they are to big and have some components that have carcinogens. Yet drilling for and burning more fossil fuels is somehow a healthier alternative? I just don't get where the blind support for fossil fuels comes from. Why are everyday people so invested in them? Why would you not want cleaner and healthier alternatives? Its almost like supporting more fossil fuels had somehow become a conservative value. While on the flip side supporting renewables is looked at as a liberal ideal. I just don't get it.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
So your argument is they are to big and have some components that have carcinogens. Yet drilling for and burning more fossil fuels is somehow a healthier alternative? I just don't get where the blind support for fossil fuels comes from. Why are everyday people so invested in them? Why would you not want cleaner and healthier alternatives? Its almost like supporting more fossil fuels had somehow become a conservative value. While on the flip side supporting renewables is looked at as a liberal ideal. I just don't get it.
Jeez, id like to meet the professor that filled you head with the crap you spew on here.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Jeez, id like to meet the professor that filled you head with the crap you spew on here.

Never had a professor even touch that subject as most of my courses did not relate to it at all.

Do you oppose an offshore wind farm instead of drilling for oil or natural gas? If so can you explain why.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Lol. Not as big a threat as they would have you believe. The noise from constructing them does cause sea mamals to leave the area. Though they return once the construction process is done and do just fine. They are also not a significant threat to birds. Studies have shown that the birds avoid the turbines and adjust accordingly. Yes some do die but comparing environmental impact of wind farms to fossil fuels is ridiculous. Though I'm glad everyone cares about the birds and whales all.of a sudden. It's funny to hear that argument as it somehow makes it seem oil rigs are a better idea. It's a bunch of fake news put out there by the fossil fuel industry.

Oh, and they don't cause cancer.
I am sorry you missed the sarcastic nature of my post. That said I am all for oil rigs/windfarms/rainbow mills being put offshore. They provide great structure for fish and pose minimal real world risks.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns

Not against solar/wind energy. Also know natural gas is a "clean" energy source. We should use what we have, while exploring alternatives. Not just say this is better we must do it. Fact is we do not know what the long term affect will be for alternative energy sources. What happens when all the solar panels and wind mills need disposing of, what hazardous waste and yes there are some. Who cleans that up after sites have been abandoned and companies go bankrupt. "Green" energy is not so simple as some would like all of us believe. Right now many "green" energy companies would not exsist if it was not for the taxpayers footing the bill. Kind of like organic farming, great idea but not practical, not efficient enough to met the demands of the people.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Not against solar/wind energy. Also know natural gas is a "clean" energy source. We should use what we have, while exploring alternatives. Not just say this is better we must do it. Fact is we do not know what the long term affect will be for alternative energy sources. What happens when all the solar panels and wind mills need disposing of, what hazardous waste and yes there are some. Who cleans that up after sites have been abandoned and companies go bankrupt. "Green" energy is not so simple as some would like all of us believe. Right now many "green" energy companies would not exsist if it was not for the taxpayers footing the bill. Kind of like organic farming, great idea but not practical, not efficient enough to met the demands of the people.

Fossil duel Industry gets subsidized by billions of dollars. Yes we will have to deal with old panels and what not. Im sure some can be recycled and some not. Either way the environmental impact is miniscule compared to burning fossil fuels. I'm not saying it's perfect, just better. Natural gas is cleaner when compared to coal and fossil fuels. It is not clean though. If your ok with subsidized fossil fuels, which is what we do currently. Then why can't we be ok with subsidized renewables. Which continually get better and better.

ECU_Pirate

Banned

It is now cheaper to go with wind and solar than it is coal. Companies are ditching coal plants all over the country.

Renewables are very viable even though some would have you think they are terrible cost ineffective. That may have been the case 10 years ago, buts it's not true anymore. Fossil fuels and natural still cost less per kilowatt but that is not factoring in other costs such as pollution and global warming (I know some dont think it's a problem, but I do so I'm using it as a cost for arguments sake).

What's the worse that happens? We end up with cleaner air and water?

ECU_Pirate

Banned

Another article about subsidies.

Interesting tid bit in that is that apparently wind is more cost effective to natural gas over the lifetime of the power plant.

Costs keep dropping with new tech and scale of manufacturing. It's only getting better and better.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
maybe in 40-50 years,,,,,but not yet ready for prime time

if alternative sources could actually MAKE money,,,folks with REAL money would be making it happen

go home and play with your ant farm,,,,

You do realize there are plenty of companies that make money off wind and solar farms....

It's not like energy companies install them and lose money on them. That is ridiculous.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You do realize there are plenty of companies that make money off wind and solar farms....

NO,,,you don't say

who? what companies "make money off wind and solar farms",,,,and we won't count federal subsidies?

please,,,inform me