Bill would make various changes to wildlife statutes and license statutes

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
A rather long read but when you don't have anything else to do, why not. License fees to go up some and another interesting thing depending on how you read it.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, the price of nuisance beaver trapping is going up if it passes as it currently reads. Surprise, Surprise!!

There is a couple items in there that the NCTA has been working for but the new license was a total surprise.

Taxidermy License is going up 500%, but it has been ridiculously low. Guide license is going up as well and it has been pretty low in the past.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like 10 dollar fee to sell mounted deer, bear and turkey.

Hunting and fishing license fees going up too.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I paid WRC license fees for decades for the right to hunt and fish on gamelands, that is until I got my lifetime one when I hit 65. And there were always those others walking dogs OFF LEASH, riding bicycles, or just farting around even when they weren't supposed to during hunting seasons. So I read this change as if they will now have to pay for a permit to do anything on WRC land. Sounds fair to me.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like it will allow the WRC to require a game lands license to access game lands

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Debating license fee increases in the bill- support and opposition

Lots of questions as to why fee increases are needed

One fee increase since 1987

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I sent 3 changes I think should be made to the wildlife statutes to Rep Brian Turner and he said he would run them by the WRC:

I am emailing you today about 3 changes I see as important to the wildlife laws and statutes.

These 3 changes clear up laws and make it easier for hunters to comply with the laws and wildlife officers to enforce the laws.

1) I ask that the unlawful take of a deer is classified as a class 2 misdemeanor. Currently it is a class 3 misdemeanor with a minimum fine that is an amount for a class 2 misdemeanor. That makes no sense.

2) I ask that blaze orange be required for hunting elk with a firearm. This would "standardize" the blaze orange law among firearms hunters.

3) Change the definition of what constitutes an upland game bird to better define what specific species of birds are upland game birds in North Carolina. The current definition is old and somewhat vague.

Thank you for sharing these ideas, admittedly some of them such as the misdemeanor issues are beyond my scope of knowledge. I am forwarding these ideas to the WRC and will follow up with them about these ideas. I’m not sure if we will be able to H597 this term, but we can at least start having the conversation about changes. If you have other ideas please share them as well.

I’ll let you know what I come up with,

Brian

big bore bob

Eight Pointer
I paid WRC license fees for decades for the right to hunt and fish on gamelands, that is until I got my lifetime one when I hit 65. And there were always those others walking dogs OFF LEASH, riding bicycles, or just farting around even when they weren't supposed to during hunting seasons. So I read this change as if they will now have to pay for a permit to do anything on WRC land. Sounds fair to me.
What chaps my cheeks is that they moved the age to get senior lifetime license from 65 to 70 right before I turned 65 years old.
Now I have to pay five more years of license fees.
I guess they figured a lot of us won't be around to get them free licenses at 70.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
RULES, CALENDAR, AND OPERATIONS OF THE HOUSE 1228/1327 15 mins after session
HB 597 Wildlife Resources Commission Amends.
HB 630 Protective Services/Alarm Systems Law Changes.
HJR 1019 Confirm Floyd McKissick/Utilities Commission.
SB 535 Authorize State Park/Clarify Corps Name.
SB 553 Regulatory Reform Act of 2019.

Still alive

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Bill passed committee amended

Onto Senate finance committee

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
It also has to go through the senate rules committee

The only question is does it pass this year or next.

Only reason the General Assembly is still is session is the budget impasse with the governor

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I see one positive in the bill. There is a 300 yards from bait distance for turkey hunting. Before there was no distance listed and CRC had some wild ideas about where you could and could not hunt.

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Changes to trap identification:

"(b) No one may take wild animals by trapping with any steel-jaw, leghold, or conibear trap unless it:

(4) Has a weather-resistant permanent tag attached legibly giving the trapper's
name and address or the trapper's trapper identification number provided by the Wildlife Resources Commission and the Wildlife Resources Commission's telephone number to report wildlife violations. If a trapper places a trap on the property of another that gives the trapper's trapper identification number instead of the trapper's name and address, the Wildlife Resources Commission shall disclose the identity of the trapper to the landowner upon the landowner's request.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If a trapper places a trap on your land and you do not already know who it is, the person who placed the trap is a trespasser. Placing traps already requires written permission! Trespassers do not tag their traps anyway.