Big water boats

ctsnow

Six Pointer
Oh man, and the guy was wearing Sitka...there’s a joke in there somewhere.

It said it was a 23 foot boat, but it looks like he just ran it aground presumably at speed...
He was running the channel and got a leak and tried to get to closest shore ASAP. The picture is how far they made it

skimmer

Six Pointer
Had a pipe connected to a thru hull bust heading offshore a few yrs ago. Bad feeling when your 10 miles off the beach and the entire bilge is full of water. Luckily we were able to turn the valve off and bail with a 5 gallon bucket until we drained enough water the boat could jump again

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
About 1982 we ran aground out fishing at night and busted a crack in the hull, and did not know it. We finally got in that morning and ate breakfast, loaded back up and headed out again...like 5 of us on boat ( 2 six year old kids). Got like 5 miles out in rough seas and began taking on water, finally figured out hull was probably leaking. Someone came by pulled us in and boat was completely full of water when we began loading it....barrels of water poured out as we getting it on trailer.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
He was running the channel and got a leak and tried to get to closest shore ASAP. The picture is how far they made it

Hmmmm, what “channel” was he running out there in the wide open water? Ironically, the place where the boat was beached just happens to be a piece of private land that normally falls within the boundaries of the county blind law. What ever the case, the optics of the incident probably didn’t sit well with the land owner and it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if law enforcement hasn’t been notified. I’d use caution if I was going to be in that area from now on. Just say’in ...

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Hmmmm, what “channel” was he running out there in the wide open water? Ironically, the place where the boat was beached just happens to be a piece of private land that normally falls within the boundaries of the county blind law. What ever the case, the optics of the incident probably didn’t sit well with the land owner and it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if law enforcement hasn’t been notified. I’d use caution if I was going to be in that area from now on. Just say’in ...
Well, law enforcement fished him out, so...

Any how, wtf is the landowner going to do? Most of those private blinds seem to need a boat to access anyway. An awfully big stretch to say the guy was thinking about trespassing.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Well, law enforcement fished him out, so...

Any how, wtf is the landowner going to do? Most of those private blinds seem to need a boat to access anyway. An awfully big stretch to say the guy was thinking about trespassing.

Didn’t insinuate they were “going” to hunt his land, would be perfectly legal to have hunted that exact spot from their boat or standing on the water ..provided no blinds were within 500 yards, which normally isn’t the case around there. I simply didn’t buy the in the channel comment because the closest “channel” is at least 5-6 miles away. It really doesn’t matter, the event obviously came to the attention of the landowner who probably will make sure all his “blinds” are more visible and spaced out, which will preclude anyone hunting near his marshes. I don’t agree with how he makes those blinds but until someone challenges it that’s the way it’s going to be.

ctsnow

Six Pointer
Didn’t mean an actually channel per say. And evidently what I was told was wrong. So disregard my comment. But I do know the guy wasn’t trespassing. He just got to the closest land possible before it went down.

ctsnow

Six Pointer
Didn’t mean an actually channel per say. And evidently what I was told was wrong. So disregard my comment. But I do know the guy wasn’t trespassing. He just got to the closest land possible before the boat went down.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
They will sink too. No doubt they are safer than aluminum boats but knowing what you are doing is the biggest factor in keeping any boat on top of the water.

If you're going to spend much time on the open sound, I wouldn't get anything under 21'.

As far as Duckwater Aluminum boats, they're not even on the same planet as the tin cans I see people show up with at the ramp. If I was looking for that style of boat, I'd buy one without hesitation.

This is the post on this tread to pay attention to, Wanchese post is spot on. experience and focus is the key. I know two guys that own Duckwater boats. They are awesome. However even with those if in the hands of an inexperienced person you could get in trouble. Last year in the freeze up I followed a duck water out through the ice. it went through it like nothing I have seen.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Didn’t insinuate they were “going” to hunt his land, would be perfectly legal to have hunted that exact spot from their boat or standing on the water ..provided no blinds were within 500 yards, which normally isn’t the case around there. I simply didn’t buy the in the channel comment because the closest “channel” is at least 5-6 miles away. It really doesn’t matter, the event obviously came to the attention of the landowner who probably will make sure all his “blinds” are more visible and spaced out, which will preclude anyone hunting near his marshes. I don’t agree with how he makes those blinds but until someone challenges it that’s the way it’s going to be.
Gotcha. I don't know the water but do you think by "Channel" he wasn't referring to a dredged channel but rather the route that mostly guaranteed him a safe depth?