Big Water Apprenticeship???

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
All-

I have spent most of my life chasing fish in creeks, streams and ponds...and in the last 20yrs in salt. This spring we upgraded from my old 14' McKee to a 23' bayboat so that the newly expanded family can all get out and play safely and comfortably. Because of this I have had the opportunity to get out on what I would consider bigger water: Smith Mtn, Kerr, etc.

I've finally started to figure out (somewhat) offshore fishing for bass at places like Belews, but I have had minimal success on the larger lakes, especially when trying to target Striper/Cats which has really gained my interest. I've tried to leverage LMB and saltwater tactics, but have remained humbled!!!

I'm not interested in anyone's GPS numbers, secret tactics, etc...I'd be more interested in a "trade" of sorts. I'll bring the boat, gas, food, water, ice, beverages, etc...for a day of fishing in hopes that I am able to pick up a few skills (not spots!) from a more experienced angler. I'm new to the boating/fishing community in this area and for all I know, I am asking for someone's first born!!! If so, I apologize! I don't want to be gifted intel, I'd prefer to earn it...but I'm tired of attempting to separate the wheat from chaff on youtube!!!

I'm in the Greensboro area but I am not afraid to trailer a few hours. The boat is a 23' bayboat w/ 200 Zuke. There are two baitwells, and a large release well. Electronics should not be an issue (multiple units, DI / SI /2D), 36v TM. Only potential downfall is the hardtop, so I am bridge limited in some areas. I will not publicly say how many rods I have (wife may find this) but we should be just fine, I have rods/ trolling gear that should suffice for Striper/Cats as well. I do not have downriggers though.

I'm not looking to be gifted spots, have no interest in getting into tournaments, just looking to get a bit better so that I can entertain my son with a new type of fishing...he is constantly bugging me about catching "Big Fish"!

If anyone is ever interested in this, please let me know. If the above is not enough and I need to sweeten the pot...I can add a deer hunt, public land turkey hunt by boat, or day of fishing on the boat at a local private lake that is ridiculously good for LMB (Lake Jeanette).

Happy holidays-
Matt

Finn.JPG

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Wish I knew how to fish. I'd take you up on that offer. Best I can do is show you how to put a cricket on a hook and sit on a bucket under a tree. Good luck. Sounds like you have a nice set-up and maybe someone fairly local will chime in to become a proper mentor.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
if cats and stripers are your target badin is a destination.
Should you not get a bite here there are guides who can show you the route. can be the best money you could spend.
NC sportsman has ads for the guides, Tony gariatta who writes for them has decades of experience on the yadkin chain.
he could get you going.
At one time we had a guide (tomahawk ) that posted here. but tillery was his deal.
Same thing for kerr. guides galore.

I hope you get a bite from someone here though, that would be more fun.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Tomahawk fishes badin just as much as he does Tillery...he is on facebook. Now retired and full time guide if you interested.

Now if you was really dedicated....they are having a River Wars tourney(its on facebook also) between the Yadkin cat fisherman against the Catawba cat fisherman today in the pouring rain on Badin...tomorrow they go to Lake Wylie. Combined weights determine the winner...they is some serious dedicated cat fisherman in NC.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I'd second the guide. I've done it numerous times, out on Green Bay to learn to fish for walleye in such a large body of water, on Jordan to get a primer on crappie fishing, in Wilmington as well. Tell them that you're trying to learn HOW to fish these bodies of water.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Matty, you offered Lake Jeanette as an enticement and believe me when I say that it is but a shadow of it's former self of 25 years ago before the lakeside development. We bought one of the first lots offered and sold it 2 years later without ever building, just didn't like the way things were headed.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Matty, you offered Lake Jeanette as an enticement and believe me when I say that it is but a shadow of it's former self of 25 years ago before the lakeside development. We bought one of the first lots offered and sold it 2 years later without ever building, just didn't like the way things were headed.

I've heard! I fished it a bit this summer and it was a blast! Multiple days of 20+ fish in a few hours solo with fish up to 7lbs. In its heyday it must have been crazy!!!

We picked up a pool membership for the kids this summer and they offered the lake add on. It's up for renewal in APR, but I'm not sure if we will re-up or not. It's pretty convenient as it's 10min from the house, but so are Brandt, Higgins, and Townsend....and Belews is only 20.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Completely understand on the guide suggestions and that is the fallback plan for sure...just thought it would be fun to get out and learn from a member.

Thanks all for the suggestions so far!

Hrlhustler

Six Pointer
Tomahawk fishes badin just as much as he does Tillery...he is on facebook. Now retired and full time guide if you interested.

Now if you was really dedicated....they are having a River Wars tourney(its on facebook also) between the Yadkin cat fisherman against the Catawba cat fisherman today in the pouring rain on Badin...tomorrow they go to Lake Wylie. Combined weights determine the winner...they is some serious dedicated cat fisherman in NC.
Yadkin boys🤙🤙🤙

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I've heard! I fished it a bit this summer and it was a blast! Multiple days of 20+ fish in a few hours solo with fish up to 7lbs. In its heyday it must have been crazy!!!

We picked up a pool membership for the kids this summer and they offered the lake add on. It's up for renewal in APR, but I'm not sure if we will re-up or not. It's pretty convenient as it's 10min from the house, but so are Brandt, Higgins, and Townsend....and Belews is only 20.

The advantage of Lake J is that it's not "public" so the pressure is less and so is boat traffic. Not to take away from the other area lakes but Lake J does have benefits.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Be glad to take you up to Gaston a few times.
Take you on my boat or yours.
Easier to show you rigs, how fished, and ideas on my own boat then we can carry them over to yours.

How many rod holders and spacing you have between them in a fishing set up..

You have drift socks, trolling motor and holders to fish 8 to 14 rods for drifting or anchor?
Have 2 anchors with 150' rope for double anchor set up.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My old tourney partner team is leading it with 102lbs for two fish today out of Badin. They had a 54lber and 48lber. That whole group is dedicated..22 teams fished today in the pouring rain.

Those are some dedicated fishermen to be out there today. Today was just nasty.

Matty, what boat is that?

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Be glad to take you up to Gaston a few times.
Take you on my boat or yours.
Easier to show you rigs, how fished, and ideas on my own boat then we can carry them over to yours.

How many rod holders and spacing you have between them in a fishing set up..

You have drift socks, trolling motor and holders to fish 8 to 14 rods for drifting or anchor?
Have 2 anchors with 150' rope for double anchor set up.

That is extremely gracious of you! Seems like your boat is likely MUCH more suited to this style of fishing! I will certainly take you up on it whenever it is a good time for you! Sounds like this may be a master class rather than catfish/striper 101!!

I have a drift sock, two anchors, and a trolling motor, but my rod holders are stock. In SW and my 2 attempts at trolling for striper, I’ve trolled my out lines from angled holders on the hard top, my center line(s) from the holders on the leaning post, and close lines from the gunnel. In short, I don’t have anywhere near the right rod holder setup for drifting/power drifting, or fishing a lot of lines at anchor.

I’ve been looking into rod holders that go into the trolling RHs on the gunnels that hold a few rods each, fanned out and near horizontal.

I can’t thank you enough for the offer!!!

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Those are some dedicated fishermen to be out there today. Today was just nasty.

Matty, what boat is that?

Sea Pro 228
I spent over a year narrowing it down, doing sea trials, and chatting up anyone that would talk. Had it narrowed down to a few models in the 22-24’ range and the Sea Pro won out. Fit and finish, construction, and factory support as a package was better than all the other “mid tier” boats. (ie Sportsman, Sea Hunt, Key Largo, Pioneer, Tidewater, etc). I couldn’t justify coming out of the mid tier for what we were looking to do with the boat. There is a pretty sizable $$$ jump to the next level!

Some of the other factors:
-I preferred Suzuki
-I preferred a local purchase for support
-I really wanted the largest hardtop I could get (the sun hates me and my people!)
-I needed a layout that worked well for the wife and 2 small kids yet fished fairly well in both SW and FW
-I wanted the softest/driest ride in this size class that I could afford

The dealer support is what really sealed it. I purchased it at Get Wet Marine and a Randy and his team have been nothing short of exceptional. On top of that SP has incredible factory support.

I think I read where you were looking for something similar, I’d be happy to take you out and let you “kick the tires”

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
I would be glad to go with and offer whatever I know, suggest, even 'spots' on Kerr , truth is those fish move.
I don't work anymore so most anytime is good for me. When weather is better a campsite may work since your making a long drive and make it a two day fishing trip.

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
I would be glad to go with and offer whatever I know, suggest, even 'spots' on Kerr , truth is those fish move.
I don't work anymore so most anytime is good for me. When weather is better a campsite may work since your making a long drive and make it a two day fishing trip.

Thanks! Once we get past the holiday madness I’ll reach out. Camping sounds fun. We do a lot of camping weekends with the boat at Philpott. I’m in a similar situation there with trying to figure out the walleye.

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
I am new to the forum, matter of fact this is my first post.

I would be happy to show you what I've learned live bait striper fishing on Smith Mtn. Lake.

Shoot me a PM.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

I would be happy to show you what I've learned live bait striper fishing on Smith Mtn. Lake.

Shoot me a PM.

pay attention there matty, those tactics seem to me to be the next "big thing" on the big spot tail bass on the nuese river.
With your rig you could play that game as well. :)
Going Coastal- You might want to really go coastal- Oriental next August- september, the smith mt live bait boys are changing the game down there on the Drum.

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
pay attention there matty, those tactics seem to me to be the next "big thing" on the big spot tail bass on the nuese river.
With your rig you could play that game as well. :)
Going Coastal- You might want to really go coastal- Oriental next August- september, the smith mt live bait boys are changing the game down there on the Drum.
Oldest school, I hope to retire to the crystal coast area one of these days.
Wouldn't be far from Oriental so I could enjoy the great fishing there.
My current boat and trailer aren't suitable for the saltwater environment.
Maybe I'll get a guide for those bull reds one of these days.
Striper fishing at SML will have to do for now though. After deer season is over, I plan on giving a few the sore mouth.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Oldest school, I hope to retire to the crystal coast area one of these days.
Wouldn't be far from Oriental so I could enjoy the great fishing there.
My current boat and trailer aren't suitable for the saltwater environment.
Maybe I'll get a guide for those bull reds one of these days.
Striper fishing at SML will have to do for now though. After deer season is over, I plan on giving a few the sore mouth.

You wont need a guide. Just a chart. Once you see the pattern the locations stick out like a sore thumb.
Then use your smith mountain live bait tactics and hold on.
You may want to limit your rods though. I understand 11 going off at the same time is chaotic. :)

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor

Shoot me a PM.

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. Once the madness of the holidays dies down I will absolutely reach out! I’m about 2 weeks behind with 4 days to go!!! Thanks again for the offer!