Big Rock Tournament

Birdman

Six Pointer
I know last year we had a lot of conversation on hear once the tournament started. This will be my 18th consecutive year fishing it as a mate anyone one on here got any questions about it or marlin fishing in general I would be glad to answer to the best of my knowledge.

Birdman

Six Pointer
The "Sport" of it is what most of the fisherman enjoy...just about everyone on our dock is Marlin fishing each time they go out. Unless they have a charter that whats some meat...

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I understand the sport but I'd rather catch a load of tuna and mahi....can't eat the beak lol.

I know they are smoked, but marlin isn't on my "to eat" list

well,,, I look at it like this,,, stuff like that (marlin) is different than fishing to eat,,, scratched my Tarpon itch,,, (may do it again one day) and still have a few itches for things I likely won't get to eat

70 lb fish - 2nd.jpg

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I know last year we had a lot of conversation on hear once the tournament started. This will be my 18th consecutive year fishing it as a mate anyone one on here got any questions about it or marlin fishing in general I would be glad to answer to the best of my knowledge.
what kind of season are you having up to now?
Do you expect a great tourney or small catches or is it too early to say?

Birdman

Six Pointer
The gaffer mahi season is May and is tampering off now....there will be mahi to catch all summer just not as big or as many that are here in May....the Marlin come with the mahi...3 weeks ago there were a lot of Marlin around and that lasted to last weekend...this past weekend the Marlin fishing sucked...as for success in the tournament it all depends on what kind of water the gulf streams sends our way...

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
i follow no sports, couldn't tell you who was playing for the Stanley cup other than hearing it from the sad Leaf fans at work. I might watch a few sporting events throughout the year but can honestly say i dont remember the last one i watched.
The Big Rock tournament though is something i follow, got the app on my phone and look forward to the updates and results.
After the fishing trip out there a couple of years ago, that salt water keeps calling me, looking forward to open borders so i can head back down.
@WM let me know if you need a fishing partner for one of them marlins, couple of "old men of the sea"

Birdman

Six Pointer
The Big Rock does the best job hands down of updating they live feed....from hookups, catches, who is in the lead...they have millions of hits on their site throughout the week...they even put out a newspaper to the local businesses each day

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
How far do you typically go out when marlin fishing ? We were catching Mahi last summer and I asked our mate roughly where we were and he said we were in a round about way straight off of Ocracoke. Always wondered what kind of distance boats would cover when fishing offshore.

Birdman

Six Pointer
Depending on where the "good" water is from Atlantic Beach if you run straight out you would want to be behind the big rock which would put you about 60 miles...if you run up toward hatteras you could be as far as 80 miles....some boats run to the east side of the Gulf Stream if it pushes in enough and that would be near 100 miles

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The Big Rock does the best job hands down of updating they live feed....from hookups, catches, who is in the lead...they have millions of hits on their site throughout the week...they even put out a newspaper to the local businesses each day
I’ve been listening to the live feed for a few years now. Between the radio traffic and the video weigh ins, they make it very easy to follow from the other side of the state. Makes me feel like I’m there.

CoonHntr

Four Pointer
what kind of season are you having up to now?
Do you expect a great tourney or small catches or is it too early to say?
For the limited number of boats that fished, I thought there was a decent catch last weekend during the Swansboro Bluewater tournament. There were a couple of boats with multiple releases.

Birdman

Six Pointer
Normally its around 10 to 15% of the fleet that catches a fish on any giving day of the tournament...if 150 boats fish 15 to 20 fish will be caught....they can be hard to come by

Birdman

Six Pointer
Weather is looking good....they made the ladies tournament a captains choice between Saturday or Sunday...

Starfan

Eight Pointer
Good luck @Birdman! I fished the Bigrock and a lot of other tournaments as a mate from 2013 until 2018. Won some money and even got the first billfish of the day money in I think 2018 on a white one while the crew was still in the salon. Fish hit a plug on a 130 and I had the wire before anyone else was in the cockpit. Good times!

Birdman

Six Pointer
Yeah that is quick release when a white one hits a big plug....we have been blessed the last several years with catching sum fish....it makes it a whole lotfunnier when your in the mix.....I sure hope our catching steak continues this year....

Birdman

Six Pointer
Yes I am Mark!!! It was rough as all get out today...the bite was near hatteras and we didn't try to make it....fished south of the rock and behind it a few fish caught there but not like Hatteras...we headed up there tomorrow with all the other boats going to be a pretty week.....lots of money to be won....1st fish over 500lbs get 690k and the biggest mahi 480k is what I heard...

Starfan

Eight Pointer
I don’t know if you remember me but I’m Jason from the Bootlegger. We’re still on the hill for a refit but hopefully we’ll be back next year. Y’all boys know how to get them so I’m pulling for you. Good luck and go get you one!

Starfan

Eight Pointer
That’s right. I’ll probably ride a day or two on my buddies boat at the end of the week. Good luck to you brother