Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament

johnnyk2000

Eight Pointer
I agree, I would prefer local folk too. A fella by the name of "moonpie" was first mate.. name like that he should be from 'round ere'

manybeards

Ten Pointer
Anyone listening or paying attention? Two fish are headed to the scales already.
Top Dog out of Ocean City, MD just weighed a 914 lb Blue Marlin. Largest fish ever brought to the Big Rock scales..... Epic story.
Wall Hanger coming to the scales with a Blue. ETA 10:30pm....Fought their fish for 9 hours!

DFisher

Eight Pointer
what happens with the blue marlin that are weighed in? Never heard of anyone eating them, but can you?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
what happens with the blue marlin that are weighed in? Never heard of anyone eating them, but can you?
see post #57 for info on how the big rock handles them. This came up early in the thread.
it was interesting looking for that info.
In some spots they cut them up and toss them back in the sea.

skimmer

Six Pointer
Anyone else notice the 3rd place boat hasn't been awarded yet? Word is Theresa Jean might be getting dq'd

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The Big Rock website only shows Unofficial Results, no Official results posted yet that I have been able to find.

Theresa Jean had the double hook up and I never heard much about what happened to the 2nd fish. All I recall was a crew member mentioned losing it at the weigh in for the one they boated. Never heard it mentioned on the radio or saw an update posted on the hook up page before the weigh in. I notice the Hook Up page shows Lost, Pulled Hook at the same time stamp as the boated fish now.

Makes one wonder if they got them both to the boat and conveniently lost to smaller one.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
The Big Rock website only shows Unofficial Results, no Official results posted yet that I have been able to find.

Theresa Jean had the double hook up and I never heard much about what happened to the 2nd fish. All I recall was a crew member mentioned losing it at the weigh in for the one they boated. Never heard it mentioned on the radio or saw an update posted on the hook up page before the weigh in. I notice the Hook Up page shows Lost, Pulled Hook at the same time stamp as the boated fish now.

Makes one wonder if they got them both to the boat and conveniently lost to smaller one.
Thank you.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The radio traffic from Capt. Randy was very clear and repeated multiple times that NC Law only allowed one blue marlin per day.

skimmer

Six Pointer
I heard they had failed the polygraph. Supposedly the other fish was dead and released so they could bring the bigger one in. We will find out soon enough

double

Twelve Pointer
I heard they had failed the polygraph. Supposedly the other fish was dead and released so they could bring the bigger one in. We will find out soon enough

If that is the case they should have a hefty fine instead if a hefty check waiting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It is all speculation until the Big Rock makes an Official Announcement and even those rulings have been contested in court in past tournaments. All I have seen so far are Unofficial Results.

A boat could loose a fish and boat another or they could release a fish and boat another without violating the rules. But releasing one and reporting it lost is another matter. Also, the Big Rock has defined what constitutes boating a fish. I could see this scenario to be interpreted as boating both fish depending on how it played out.

That boating rule is what caused the problem for the Shenandoah that resulted in a DQ but they self reported it as such.

Other boats released more than one blue marlin in a day, no problem with that.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
More questions. Mostly from my MRS that I couldn't answer.

Is there a video of the Top Dog interviews?

How did the Top Dog bring the catch back? (Dragging it?)

Why did some early fish net $500K+ each? Or am I wrong?

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The interview of the Top Dog crew was shown live on Big Rock TV streamed on the net. Not sure if there is a your tube or other version of it floating around. They got the head and part of the body on board through the tuna door and had a rope holding the tail up above the transom. Part of the fish was dragging in the water which wore the skin off and likely cost them a few pounds of weight.

The first boated blue marlin that weighed over 500 lbs. wins the Fabulous Fisherman Award IF they are entered in that category. The Sweetums had the first boated fish over 500 and were entered in the Fabulous Fisherman Category. The prize for that category was $531,250.

There are many categories that can be entered and about 75 ways to win part of the overall prize money which was around $2.8 million this year.

So far, I have not seen any list of Official Payouts from the Big Rock. Everything is still shown as Unofficial.

Starfan

Eight Pointer
Not trying to take anything away from Top Dogs amazing accomplishment of killing a true sea monster but, I thought a mutilated fish was a automatic DQ.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mutilation was addressed at the weigh in by the announcer. The example of mutilation that he mentioned that would disqualify was running over the fish with the prop. He specifically said the damage caused by loading and getting that fish to the dock was not considered mutilation.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Can you provide a link to an Official announcement for any of the award of prize money for the tournament this year?

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
More questions. Mostly from my MRS that I couldn't answer.

Is there a video of the Top Dog interviews?

How did the Top Dog bring the catch back? (Dragging it?)

Why did some early fish net $500K+ each? Or am I wrong?

In addition to tournament prize money, there are side bets that probably rival the purse. Lots of cash to be made, but one has to be able and willing to lose it also. Gobs of cash won and lost on fishing tournaments.