Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I think it's at the dock now as they just went live and you could see a big blue in the background.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dropped Call weighed in a 524 lb. blue marlin. Moma Love hooked up about noon and pulled the hook at 4:30. That has to suck!

Finally had a couple of yellow fin weighed today. One was a monster at 145 lbs, caught by a boat out of Hatteras, Predator. a 50 lb. yellow fin is a handful, I can not imagine one that weighs 145. The other one was a baby at 18 lbs.

Had a new leader wahoo caught today also but I do not remember the weight and they have not updated the leaderboard. Wahoo was caught by Uno Mas, 59.3 lbs.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Finally had a couple of yellow fin weighed today. One was a monster at 145 lbs, caught by a boat out of Hatteras, Predator. a 50 lb. yellow fin is a handful, I can not imagine one that weighs 145.

No joke! For reference, 70 lbs. is a citation. If you catch a fish that weighs twice what the citation minimum is for that species, you've done something.

old school

Six Pointer
Took some of the family down for the weigh in today since the weather was so nice. Engine trouble keep delaying the weigh in so the little ones got a mite restless. Had a couple of hours to kill so we decided to beat the rush for supper and settled on Ruddy Duck since we already had a decent parking place. Waiter brought out our tray and another waiter backed in to him while he was only 5 feet away from serving us. Platters and kids meals went airborne ! I mean lost it all. Even scared the grand babies nearly to tears. Good crowd to see the featured catch of the day. That 524 and change would have took it all a year ago.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
wow, fishing today has been awesome (according to the app) 12 fish released so far and a couple of pulled hooks

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
It was a silly joke (and obviously lame) referring to all the claims of “fake news” anymore,,,,glad they caught a big one

But that’s the thing... it’s not really that “big” in terms of marlin. Not taking anything away from it, but that’s like saying a 45” drum is big.

If this was August, out of Oregon Inlet, with this many boats of this caliber fishing, you’d likely see some certified slobs weighed

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Well it made the news so guess it was big enough

Need to bum me a ride one of those August Oregon Inlet trips

redbow

Ten Pointer
But that’s the thing... it’s not really that “big” in terms of marlin. Not taking anything away from it, but that’s like saying a 45” drum is big.

If this was August, out of Oregon Inlet, with this many boats of this caliber fishing, you’d likely see some certified slobs weighed
Yawn

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Top dog asked if it was ok for another boat to help out with actually boating the fish. The answer was a hard no. Curious to see if it was it was ill preparation or the monster we’ve been waiting for.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Me to Justin.

Do they estimate the weight over the radio or is that a big nono? Looks like about a 4.5 hour fight for Top Dog. Isn't this their 2nd Marlin of the week?

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Me to Justin.

Do they estimate the weight over the radio or is that a big nono? Looks like about a 4.5 hour fight for Top Dog. Isn't this their 2nd Marlin of the week?

Yep. Fight time doesn’t mean a whole heck of a lot. If one gets tail wrapped and dies, it takes some finessing to get them up and could potentially take longer than an equal size and mannered fish fought until leadered and gaffed.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Fished Fort Macon all afternoon from the shore, first time I’ve ever not caught a fish there. Headed to the scales afterwards, I think the next boat is due in around 5:30.