big game tag question

Excursion

Ten Pointer
Here's the deal: My neighbors Son is 11 and wants to Turkey hunt. He has no license and will be hunting private land. Can I take him and how do we tag a turrkey if he kills one? Does he need to get big game tags? etc... help

Last edited:

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Take him to any one that sells licenses and he can get his own tags. If he likes to hunt get him in the hunters education classes and get his safety card in the future. Good luck this year.

cvfdcar1

Four Pointer
I'm sure he can get his big game tags free of charge since he is under 16 years of age. He is required to have a set of big game tags but not a lic. I would carry him to Walmart and ask them to print him some. My son has a lifetime lic and I get his tags there every year

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They will have to establish a customer number for him but others are correct, he gets his big game tags free of charge.. anywhere that sells licenses should be able to do it.

blbranch

Six Pointer
I think they give big game tags for free. Once he turns 16 I believe you have to buy them, and he can actually get a license.

CarolinaWildlife

Ten Pointer
I believe that he has up to 90 days to obtain his Hunter Safety Certificate. They have started what is called the apprentice program. I believe it applies to adults as well. You have 90 days to take the course. I think its to help make it easier for folks to get in to hunting.
Without a his own tags...you have to use your tag. Just like taking a youth fishing or dove hunting ...without a license.. their bag limit is your bag limit.
Example....you can't take a 10 year old fishing and think that you can keep 2 red drum a that day...unless the 10 year old has his/her own fishing license.
It used to not be this way, but they have changed things.
Disclaimer: I may be wrong.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Excursion

Ten Pointer
Thanks Guys, thats what I thought on the big game tags. I talked to his Dad and he said he would pick them up :rolleyes: We will see. If not i guess I will take him.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I believe that he has up to 90 days to obtain his Hunter Safety Certificate. They have started what is called the apprentice program. I believe it applies to adults as well. You have 90 days to take the course. I think its to help make it easier for folks to get in to hunting.
Without a his own tags...you have to use your tag. Just like taking a youth fishing or dove hunting ...without a license.. their bag limit is your bag limit.
Example....you can't take a 10 year old fishing and think that you can keep 2 red drum a that day...unless the 10 year old has his/her own fishing license.

That is incorrect......in regards to red drum and fishing......and when hunting you are not supposed to tag an animal that you did not kill.......the child is supposed to have their own tags and use their tags on their animals....
And the tags are free and they do not have to have a hunters safety certificate unless they are going to be hunting by themselves and out of direct adult supervision.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CarolinaWildlife

Ten Pointer
Thanks for the clarification.
Just recap..
If I have a 15 year old dove hunting with me, between the two of us, we can keep two limits?
And the same for red drum while fishing?

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns

You said this applies to an adult as well? So your saying you can buy big game tags as an under 16 and as an adult and be able to legally shoot a turkey if you take the hunter safety course within 90 days of purchasing the tags?

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
^^^ I just spoke with the GW, he said this is true but its more then 90 days. That person has to be accompanied by someone with a valid license and they cannot buy a license next year until they take the course.

The person being mentored has to purchase the appropriate licenses as well, they will be able to do this under the apprentice permit.

Last edited:

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just recap..
If I have a 15 year old dove hunting with me, between the two of us, we can keep two limits?

For Big game, YES you can keep two limits you both will have tags.

I have never looked into it for fishing since as a general rule I don't much..

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
It also applies to fishing......you can keep two limits of fish as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Go to any business that sells licenses with the youth. Provide full name, address, date of birth and (possibly) social security number. He will be logged into the systen and issued tags free of charge until he is 16, as this is the age that a license is required. At that time he must have had the hunter ed class to get a license. Also, prior to class completion, he must be accompanied by a licensed adult. After the class, he may hunt alone.

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns

I'm not 100% sure but I do know that there is an apprenticeship license in NC now. An adult can hunt without the hunters safety course as long as their within eye sight or within ear shot from another licensed adult hunter.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not 100% sure but I do know that there is an apprenticeship license in NC now. An adult can hunt without the hunters safety course as long as their within eye sight or within ear shot from another licensed adult hunter.

Which means, it is untrue that you have to take the safety course to buy a license. Because you can buy a license under the apprentice permit without taking the course, but you have to hunt with someone who has taken the course.

Last edited:

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns

Basically everything here is incorrect (good thing you put in a disclaimer :) ). It's all in the regs book. Short answer is he gets his own tags.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Just recap..

Yes. A youth without a license can keep a limit, as can you. I don't know about red drum, but I know trout fishing they have their own limit too.

Basically, if they are with you and have no license, they hunt and fish just like they have one and other laws/limits apply just like if they had a license. For big game, they get their own tags for free.