Big drum question - Pamlico

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I've only fished for "big" drum once - back in 97 and caught a nice one. Got to keep it, too!

I'm not sure if it's 'time' for the big drum to be caught now or not - but I'd like to try. I've got a small flats boat so I won't be headed way out and in the dark but wondering what my opportunities are on the north shore of the Pamlico - from Belhaven to Englehard. What is a good spinning setup for them? I doubt I have what it takes at the moment as far as rods are concerned. I might be ok in the reel dept if I rob my surf rods.

How about bait? Chunks of fresh fish I imagine, peeler crab, etc, on a drum rig. I don't think it has to be a Lupton Rig in the sound, but it ought to be, I guess. What about topwater, or spinnerbaits? Never tried either for big drum.

redbow

Ten Pointer
I would recommend going with a guide first. As for the timing, there are probably some big ones around now but there will be more from late August thru September.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I've only fished for "big" drum once - back in 97 and caught a nice one. Got to keep it, too!

I'm not sure if it's 'time' for the big drum to be caught now or not - but I'd like to try. I've got a small flats boat so I won't be headed way out and in the dark but wondering what my opportunities are on the north shore of the Pamlico - from Belhaven to Englehard. What is a good spinning setup for them? I doubt I have what it takes at the moment as far as rods are concerned. I might be ok in the reel dept if I rob my surf rods.

How about bait? Chunks of fresh fish I imagine, peeler crab, etc, on a drum rig. I don't think it has to be a Lupton Rig in the sound, but it ought to be, I guess. What about topwater, or spinnerbaits? Never tried either for big drum.
the guides at oriental did some fine work in educating folks on the virtues of a popping cork and a big plastic swimbait used in the daytime for big drum. spinning tackle is best for this.

I hope you get to see it work for you. there are numerous videos around on the method.If there is a more fun way to catch them i want to learn it.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I have a friend who I think is fairly experienced with artificials for drum. Never been with him, though. He'll probably share some insights....

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
the guides at oriental did some fine work in educating folks on the virtues of a popping cork and a big plastic swimbait used in the daytime for big drum. spinning tackle is best for this.

I hope you get to see it work for you. there are numerous videos around on the method.If there is a more fun way to catch them i want to learn it.

The same kind of people busting chops for the way fish are handled by the pier and surf guys... ?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
The same kind of people busting chops for the way fish are handled by the pier and surf guys... ?
you lost me there Justin. quit talking in riddles. spell it out. "the same kind of people"
what is your point? is there really that much anger between the sand and the boat folks on drum?
That makes no sense to me.

but just say what you mean.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns

This is just my opinion, but the best spinning set up is one where you can get the fish to the boat fairly quickly and release them back in the water as fast as possible. The barb less hooks make it easy... I would say the opportunities on the north shore of the Pamlico are there.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i think i get justin's point now. the popping cork takes spinning tackle. That causes some long battles. popping cork cats fuss about sand dragging killing drum. they may killem by wearing them out on the spinning tackle. but throw rocks on others.

thanks bux. your comments helped.

slow this am Justin. valid point you made, i am just not keen enough to catch it.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
What ever happened to fishing.....?
Why does it always have to turn political.

Politics has nothing to do with calling a spade a spade. I’ve got plenty of friends that fish the summer fishery over there, but they also don’t cast stones on how fish are handled, by people that have handled hundreds and thousands of paper fish, with tag returns to show they’re not dead. There’s a been a lot of stone throwing at the surf and pier guys by guys holding a 48”er on a 1500 sized shimano with a popping cork rig hanging out of his mouth. 2+2 doesn’t equal 4.

i think i get justin's point now. the popping cork takes spinning tackle. That causes some long battles. popping cork cats fuss about sand dragging killing drum. they may killem by wearing them out on the spinning tackle. but throw rocks on others.

thanks bux. your comments helped.

slow this am Justin. valid point you made, i am just not keen enough to catch it.

Exactly. These guys troll social media casting stones at any body holding a drum by the chin, on the sand or pier, assuming the hands are shoved up the rakers or that the guts are being ripped apart by the weight, while having their own pics of Pamlico fish on 1500 sized spinning rods with popping corks or whatever.

Gadget, it’s not politics, it’s the live and let live getting tired of not being left alone. I’m friends with plenty of guys that catch boat fish over there. Most are using tackle that can put the heat on the fish, get them to the boat, and unhooked with the fish still lively enough to beat the hell out of them. Won’t happen on trout/pup gear.

You’ll never see me finessing one. I trust my line and my knots too much. Too many garbos and sandbars and duskys (high endangered btw.... just ask the feds ?) wanting an easy meal on the ocean side, and too many bulls over there.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry Hawkman. I shouldn’t have derailed your thread. As far as trying to make a positive contribution.... make sure you’re using heavier gear and not trying to light tackle finesse. Best of luck and post some pics!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
^they cannot quite handle braid. all this talking has me wanting to catch some.

hawkman redbow had a great idea for you, you'll see that it's not too hard quickly and then take it from there.

redbow

Ten Pointer
Justin, are you by chance that duck "hunter" from Wanchese? You seem angry all the time. The poster asked a legit question and you went off on some tangent aimed at "the same kind of people". Weird.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Justin, are you by chance that duck "hunter" from Wanchese? You seem angry all the time. The poster asked a legit question and you went off on some tangent aimed at "the same kind of people". Weird.

Never angry. Just honest.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
A good med heavy or up rod, 4000 size reel, 30 pound braid, popping cork with 50 pound leader to a DOA Swimbait will put them in the boat. I can have one in the boat with this rig as fast as I can using heavy conventional heavy tackle.

This is a Blabbermouth popping cork with a big menhaden fly.. I tie these and others similar.

If we happen to soak bait we use fresh cut mullet. We use a med heavy/heavy 6 to 7 foot casting rod that will hold 30 pound mono and at least 3 or 4 ounces of weight, a reel that will hold 200 yards of line.
20160914_094617_resized.jpg
20170818_143653_resized.jpg20160914_094617_resized.jpg

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
A good med heavy or up rod, 4000 size reel, 30 pound braid, popping cork with 50 pound leader to a DOA Swimbait will put them in the boat. I can have one in the boat with this rig as fast as I can using heavy conventional heavy tackle.

This is a Blabbermouth popping cork with a big menhaden fly.. I tie these and others similar.

If we happen to soak bait we use fresh cut mullet. We use a med heavy/heavy 6 to 7 foot casting rod that will hold 30 pound mono and at least 3 or 4 ounces of weight, a reel that will hold 200 yards of line.
View attachment 18913
View attachment 18914View attachment 18913

That’s cool!

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Check out Carolina Outdoor Journal and Gary Dubriel on Youtube. They have a lot of good info for the beginner.

DOA Airheads come in packs or get them already rigged ready to tie on and fish.

I have room in my boat for someone smallish, you will have to paddle. . :)

Couple for Night Stalker color mullet pattern.
995af6a4a132424fdf3bbc32e957e8a0.jpg
468edc813758f9ac53a33f591ed21da8.jpg
700e4e01fee3f822212b48f87073f43b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
We fish the lower Neuse from Minnesott Beach to Cedar island and there are only a few oyster bars to worry about.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks. I fish braid on almost everything but my drum rods (surf) but find it to hate abrasion. Nice looking flys you fish

Willie

Twelve Pointer
Fresh mullet, clams, and/or peeler crabs, chum bag on the bottom, lupton rig, penn battle 8000 is what we typically use.

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
For popping corks I use a penn 4000 battle ii with 12-15lb braid on a 7’-7’6” st croix medium action medium taper rod(this was a very hard rod to find apparently the market is focused on fast taper rods). For bottom fishing we use battle 6000 with 45lb braid and tiger light rods in the 6’6”-7’ ride in a med-heavy. The DOA rigged popping corks are hard to beat.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Check out Carolina Outdoor Journal and Gary Dubriel on Youtube. They have a lot of good info for the beginner.
I have room in my boat for someone smallish, you will have to paddle. . :)Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6'4 and 225 has me out of the 'smallish' category, and that last photo of [you] in a boat certainly does! :)

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Thanks, everyone, for your replies. Thought it was a late-summer, early-fall thing. Nice to be informed early rather than late.

My last "biggish" one - in '97 (I think, the year before you couldn't keep the big ones.)

Attachments

• 97 drum.jpg
    97 drum.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 18