Big drum from the point

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
beautiful fish and a beautiful place to fish ! Looks like you got yourself a citation right there, how much over 48 was it?

redbow

Ten Pointer
The fish was 42" or 44" long, a citation either way. The big drum were in there like crazy for a couple days. The key is a consistent SW wind. Brings em right into shore following the bait. I've never seen so many BIG drum caught.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Ah, I was thinking 48'' was citation length for some reason. None the less, beautiful fish you caught. Nothing like fishing THE POINT

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Best I ever did was 46. We boated three out of the same school, all on at the same time, 2 46ers and a 47 and no one on the boat had a camera or cell with photo capability so no certificates but we did tag and release. There were 4 on at the same time but one came off; talk about a Chinese firedrill.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Nice drum.

It's a shame that the Park Service has all but eliminated access for that fishery here in Dare county. About the time the bite starts every year the bird enclosures are put up and if you aren't willing or aren't capable of walking a mile carrying your gear, you can't participate. A lot of lifetime memories used to be made by young and old alike on that section of beach.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Nice drum.

It's a shame that the Park Service has all but eliminated access for that fishery here in Dare county. About the time the bite starts every year the bird enclosures are put up and if you aren't willing or aren't capable of walking a mile carrying your gear, you can't participate. A lot of lifetime memories used to be made by young and old alike on that section of beach.

Makes me sick to think about. I've got a dump truck load of memories from that ol section of beach aka ramp 43 aka The Point. Some of my best memories of hunting and fishing growing up were fishing the point with my dad. In those days you could drive from up above Avon all the way to the lower point or what we called Hatteras inlet. No permits needed.

redbow

Ten Pointer
It was a chore to get to there. We could drive to a certain spot and then had to walk about two miles with all of our gear to get to the point. Then we had to walk back and have our vehicle off the beach by 8pm. I think it was 8pm, might have been 9pm. We camped out there one night. I say camped but we fished and drank beer. It got COLD too. Got into a mess of big sharks the next morning at sunrise. It was pretty cool having THE POINT all to ourselves--there was only one other group of guys out there that night.

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Biggest ive gotten was a 51' on the Louisiana shoals around Slidel, luckily you can (or could) keep one over 42' if i remember correctly..... Great catch!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: