Better check your cup........

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was sitting at my desk early this morning, having my coffee and watching the sun come up through the trees just as I am most mornings. That usually when I'm lost in prayer and normally a very positive time but for some reason this morning I just bailed off into a pity party. I've been down for just over a month now and I found myself asking, " Lord what in the world? What's next?!! Could you maybe help me get a good night's sleep without waking up every few minutes with a rib busting out of place and feeling like I've just been shot? Maybe get back to work and get some things done around here? How'bout a little help Lord, it sure is getting old...."

And then as I'm sitting there wallowing and moaning about the petty troubles in my own little world a friend comes to mind whose 15 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with a rare, aggressive, and inoperable tumor that's wrapped around her brainstem and they're running her back and forth to Chapel Hill every other day, hoping and praying for answers. Another is grieving the loss of a spouse of 45 years. An old classmate who took his own life, Lord only knows why and what demons he was fighting that made him feel like that was his only way out. And suddenly I found myself on the verge of tears....for them.

I saw these words somewhere recently, probably a meme or something, and I didn't pay too much attention to them at the time....but they sure hit me hard this morning.

"If you could throw all of your own troubles in a pile with everyone else's I bet it won't take very long for you to pull'em back out...".
In a split second I came to understand two truths: That it could always be worse and as rough as I may think I have it, when I put my troubles in that pile it didn't take but a second to realize that my cup's running over with blessings. I pray yours is too....

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Thank you for this. I tend to always look on the bright side, but like everyone, it's good to be reminded of what I really have.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
Well said brother.. that’s one thing I think we all struggle with from time to time. It’s easy to notice everything that is wrong in our lives and it’s to easy to over look the many blessing we have and receive daily. Thanks for the write up!

DFisher

Eight Pointer
I had covid over Christmas break. Laid on my couch for a few days, whined about everything. Same time frame, a buddy flew to New Orleans, got covid, and could not fly home or rent a car for 10 days. He was sicker than me, and not in the comfort of his own home. Same time, my neighbor died from it. God reminded me that it could be worse.

RBR

Six Pointer
Reminded me of the time I was getting chemo @ Duke University hospital in 1980..just a kid being 18 years old at the time. Well…..I was sitting there waiting on my morning treatment and mad at the world, God and all. Me being young in my prime, just enjoying my life and then diagnosed with Hodgkins, I didn’t understand why I’m in this place when I should be out with my friends enjoying life. Then I heard this roaring sound coming down the hallway and it was a convoy of Radio Flyer wagons loaded with small children no hair all mapped up with sharpie markers to get their treatments. I can’t describe how bad I felt and how lucky I realized I was to be a young man and had 18 years of life. I realized it can always be worse.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good reminder, LR.

I usually get enough blessings to keep my cup half full. It would be completely full if it weren't for the cup I was issued having an annoying hole in the bottom that causes my blessing to slowly seep out and make a mess. That's why I'm always having to say, "I don't know what's wrong with the blessed thing, but it ain't working".

But, it's still better than having an empty cup, or no cup at all!