Best time to fish stocked ponds?

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Well...went late this afternoon(got there about 4:45)to what I presume is @woodmoose 's place. Tossed line out, sat pole down, in about 30 seconds had a bite but missed it. Baited up, threw out, held pole, and 2 minutes later, had a real fighter, thinking it's on today. Poor thing...still a baby. Guy on other pier caught 3 trout after I got there and lost another nice one at the pier. Bottom fished with red worms. Went by Walmart tonight and bought meal worms to try. Any pointers on bait not previously mentioned in this thread?

Attachments

• 20221214_164311.jpg
    20221214_164311.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 15

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Well...went late this afternoon(got there about 4:45)to what I presume is @woodmoose 's place. Tossed line out, sat pole down, in about 30 seconds had a bite but missed it. Baited up, threw out, held pole, and 2 minutes later, had a real fighter, thinking it's on today. Poor thing...still a baby. Guy on other pier caught 3 trout after I got there and lost another nice one at the pier. Bottom fished with red worms. Went by Walmart tonight and bought meal worms to try. Any pointers on bait not previously mentioned in this thread?
If I was using red or meal worms I'd try gettng them off bottom smallest float i could find and experiment with depth till hit right. Lots pond trout prefer it off bottom it's one reason Berkeley power bait works people call it float bait. When I was young we'd take a mini marshmallow add to hook get worm up. I also like cast out with small sinker and slowly lift rod tip up then reel slack and repeat the moving bait will entice strike. Lot pond trout are not in middle but just few feet off bank. Then it could just be it's been fished hard and not many left.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Power bait on a small egg hook 6-12 inches below a small split shot.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I may fish a locally stocked pond soon. I’ll use a spoon though. All them fellas waiting and waiting with the power bait tend to get jealous.

Pray tell...what kind of spoon makes the power bait fishermen jealous? I would like to make the guys jealous, also. Lol. Got there today about 5:15. Figured it was a waste, but might get lucky, learn something. Not sure if the hit was on the meal worm, or the approximately 1/6th of a mini marshmallow. 🤷‍♂️

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I’m glad you boys have luck on them stocked ponds. I’ve never done well. Certain groups of people always line the banks. Hard to compete when there are 20-30 of them out there.

I prefer heading north across the state line and hitting their streams in the winter.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I’m glad you boys have luck on them stocked ponds. I’ve never done well. Certain groups of people always line the banks. Hard to compete when there are 20-30 of them out there.

I prefer heading north across the state line and hitting their streams in the winter.

Kinda sounds like fishing on a pier when spots are running.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Went to the local pond after it was stocked yesterday …..thought with the cold nasty weather I would be the only one…….lol I was very wrong. Very little space to fish for all the people. I turned around and made other plans. I’ll stick to bass fishing 😂

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Went to the local pond after it was stocked yesterday …..thought with the cold nasty weather I would be the only one…….lol I was very wrong. Very little space to fish for all the people. I turned around and made other plans. I’ll stick to bass fishing 😂
It can be annoying when crowd shows I don't like crowded fishing either it turns more into a social gathering at that point with people BSing tales which I usually do my part😁 I've found at those spots people don't like getting up early in cold I prefer daybreak.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
If I was using red or meal worms I'd try gettng them off bottom smallest float i could find and experiment with depth till hit right. Lots pond trout prefer it off bottom it's one reason Berkeley power bait works people call it float bait. When I was young we'd take a mini marshmallow add to hook get worm up. I also like cast out with small sinker and slowly lift rod tip up then reel slack and repeat the moving bait will entice strike. Lot pond trout are not in middle but just few feet off bank. Then it could just be it's been fished hard and not many left.
I used to use a small syringe, and inject a little air into my worms to keep them off the bottom. Once, at Max Patch, I was lifting them out, while no one else was catching :poop: It didn't take long for a small group to come over to see what I was doing. As I was leaving, I noticed them passing that needle around, like they were in a rec park bathroom.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
20 people fishing Salisbury Community park

Seen 1 trout and a couple bass caught

Stocked 12/14

AGG

Four Pointer
I read the replies but never logged back in to say thanks for the tips. I learned a lot from this thread, although unfortunately I was never able to catch any of the trout stocked in my local pond.

Most days it was so crowded I could barely find a spot to cast, and for whatever reason the days I was lucky enough to find it somewhat open I never caught one.

Always next year I guess. I’m looking forward to some upcoming bass fishing.