Best Rangefinder under $300??

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I've spent about a week looking at rangfinders and I'm lost! I've never had one, and suddenly feel I need one. Anybody have any favorites? I've looked at leupold, and I'm not sure what the differences are.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think I’ve mentined it before. I have a Leupold 650. I paid $129 for it.

If I’m missing something, I don’t know what it is.

TH7

Eight Pointer
I have a leupold 1600. I tried out a few different ones from Cabelas. They come on sale different places. The max distance for deer and other game is not the same as the max distance and of course there is the fact of holding still on an animal that far away. I ranged a church through a field and saw over 1,000 yards on mine (free handed). I do not remember the exact number.

Guybo

Eight Pointer
I purchased the Nikon Aculon several years ago for around $150 but I have seen them cheaper than that on ebay. They have worked great for me and my uses with readings being precise and accurate and very good glass for the price. I'd have to look but I think mine are 600yd range which is a lot farther than I can see.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Have a Nikon Monarch 800 that I bought in 2006...looking at the box and papers now, It is 800 yd. range, waterproof, and never had any problem, just replaced battery couple yrs ago. Think the prices have come down quiet a bit since then....I would recommend you get one that can accurately range game that are partially obscured by grass, brush.trees, etc. Have seen some range finders that would not read correct range if being blocked by objects.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
recently bought a bushnell 1000 yard one 6 power is good for monocular clear images .... little warning a 1000 yard is only good on a deer out to around 300 yards its only good to 1000 on man made reflective structures so make sure if your looking to find long range shots at deer in feilds see how far the rangefinder is for deer not in general ...trees in cutovers i can get arount 5 to 600 yards

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Whatever you choose keep the application in mind. If you hunt a lot of large fields and want to be able to range a long ways remember a 600 yard range finder won’t range to 600 yards unless it’s a huge, solid object. I’d look at ones that have an advertised range much further than what you think you need.

I bought a sig saur kilo lady year. It’s been a good unit so far.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Thank you all, I ended up with a leupold 650. So far I'm impressed with it. I'll be using it to set up some 3d targets this coming weekend.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have the same unit and like it. I just bought it in November, so I didn’t use it a ton.

Only thing I’ve had an issue with is ranging in fog. This may be an issue for all of them. I don’t know.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I'm pretty satisfied with mine. It seems to be accurate in the backyard. I'm going to take it into the woods tommorw to really check it out.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
I have 2 Simmons 400 yard ones & that’s more than I need for the crossbow.

I don’t shoot my rifle much over 275 yards which is within the MPBR of my rifle, so an effective short range rangefinder is all I need. Not out much if I lose it either!

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Regardless of what you get it’s all about what you can hold and pickup what you are shooting at freehanding it with the rangefinder. Honestly anything over 400 pyards is tough.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Regardless of what you get it’s all about what you can hold and pickup what you are shooting at freehanding it with the rangefinder. Honestly anything over 400 pyards is tough.
I'll be using mine at 200yds and less most of the time. The few times I've tried ranging something at 4-500yds it's taken a few attempts to get a reading freehanded.