Best owl call?

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I use on of the store bought plastic owl hooters. Go ahead make fun haha I I know. My son last year said dad I dont think your owl hooting is working. A minute later I looked up and an owl was flying right at me. I ducked and he pulled up at about ten yards. That one and three more sit in the trees around us and we let them do the work. I have had many land around us over the years. It works and simple to use.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I enjoy getting owls going in spring makes for fin walk in if I have long walk I'll be calling back and forth with them well before gobble time. My natural voice owl isn't that great I prefer a wood lohman call has served me well for long time.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I just use my mouth most of the time, but if you want a nice owl call the Harrison hootn stick is great.

rodman

Ten Pointer
Me too. I just holla or slap two 2x4s together. Slapping a road sign has worked.
I have told this before but heard one gobble at two kids waiting at a bus stop on morning. The wind was right and they was arguing. The little girl said she was telling on her brother and screamed Mama real loud and a turkey gobbled down in the bottom below me.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
That is one thing I have never bothered to carry. Hell blow the truck horn. I used to use a crow call and don't do that much any more. You don't need to hear gobbles to kill turkeys. If you are hunting where you know they are then just sit down and do some series of calling. If you have done your homework and there is plenty of sign there then they ain't far, your timing has got to be right regardless.

Reactions: jug

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
It does depend on where you hunt lukecsaid above lot things like geese and crows. Now if you hunt lot places I do I seldom hear a crow and never hear a goose middle thousands acres hardwood a hoot can come in handy. Speaking of locating if you ever spook a woodpecker always stop and listen good locater

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Cutter heads and Jake brakes will get um fired up. Me and a unnamed forum member killed one in less than ten minutes with help from a rooster named Brewster.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I got out of my truck early one morning and opened my flip phone to see how far out my partner was. It made a little musical noise and a gobbler just across the road gobbled at me. I did it again and sure enough he answered me. When my buddy got there I showed him. We were there really early because we thought we had a long walk in. Sadly we d get that one but my buddy got one in close enough later that day. So I don’t think you need an owl call necessarily but I have used my Primos with some success and I carry it whenever I am hunting in the morning.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Have had much better luck with crow calls right before fly down times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Truthfully once season is in my best locater is hen calling but I still carry them for that occasional situation. I'm not sure what others experience but I've seen where birds won't answer crows but if I blow sharper on my crow call they will gobble

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
don't do what all the rest do and throw them a curve.

I was sent to SE Alabama back in the service for a few months of work,,,,happened to be during turkey season

hunted public,,,

NEVER heard so many fake owl hoots in my life,,,,,

was comical

that place was crowded as no ones business,,,,

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
My buddy and I got out of the truck before sunup and walked into the edge of the woods when we heard an owl call. We didn’t see any other truck but we knew sometimes hunters will drop off someone. Then we heard another one from a different directoon and that one answered from where we’d heard the first one. That’s when these two geniuses figured out we’d been listening to a couple of owls. Since nothing gobbled with all that noise we moved on to another place. I still wondered if that could’ve been a couple of guys trying to get us to leave their spot.

hoyt85

Six Pointer
I second the Harrison Hootn' stick by Hooks calls. I use my natural voice but have one of his in Osage,